We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New york is steeling my heart once again

tongeren
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
New york is steeling my heart once again

Quick, call the cops. Theft in progress...

We (my brother and I) arrived yesterday noon. It's his first time. For me the third time in 3 years. The city stole my heart twice before and is doing it again. And I don't mind it at all

Yesterday we just chilled. Did not have to wait long at customs and the shuttle picked us up quickly. Reading all the bad reviews about suppershutlle, I feared the worst but I guess we were lucky. After checking in, we went to heartland brewery to have soms nacho's and chicken wings. Afterwards a quick stroll through hells kitchen and a pitstop at Daltons. After a few beers we went to BXL café. We already felt homesick after a few buds, so it was time to have some belgian beers again.

Today started with a visit to top of the rock just to give my brother that 'waw' feeling about NY. You can read hundreds of books and watch hundreds of clips on youtube but that does not even come close to the real feeling of overlooking this city. Afterwards brooklyn heights and brooklyn bridge. Now we are having some beers at Killarne rose before resuming our trip in lower manhatten. Still on the list today is Wall street, Battery Park, Staten Island ferry. Afterwards quick trip to the hotel, put on our Mets Jersey and of to city field.

God I love this city.

Now I'm going to finish my stella artois :)

If there is any interest, I'll gladly update this daily. Any tips about things that we should not miss are greatly appreciated. Seeing it is my brothers first time we are of course going to do al the well know stuff but I would like to throw in some hidden gems.

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Yes, update daily! Have you been to Katz deli for their amazing Pastrami sandwiches? :)

tongeren
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

had my first pastrami today at Killarneys. I know, it is a shame that I did not try it before and waited till the third trip :)

read about Katz before and was planning on trying it out later on. Also went to Grimaldis today but it was closed. Did not want to waste any minute here so could not wait. So nice excuse for another trip next year :-)

Planning for tomorrow is central park and in the afternoon little italy, chinatown and the village. Went to mulberry street bar last year and had a great time. So I'd like to do that again tomorrow. Suggestions about a place to eat would be very welcome. I'd like to have some traditional Italian cuisine.

thx in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Montes in the village is very nice ;-)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Def keep the update going. Nice night for a baseball game!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

I second that, would love to read more :)

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Italian suggestions: Minetta Tavern & Torissi's

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Just wanted to add that I'd love to read more of your trip. Please keep going!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Rubirosa...but can't comment on their beer list

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Do you mean steeling or stealing? They have sort of opposite meanings.

But from the way you wrote, you-heart-NYC!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New york is steeling my heart once again

Rubirosa was recommended to us by the Forum. We wound up at Novella and LOVED it. I can't praise it highly enough --- it was the best meal of my trip to NYC. Little Italy reminds me very much of Tuscany, what with the open-aired restaurants and cannoli vendors occupying the entire sidewalks lining Mulberry Street. A few blocks off the hectic fury of Canal Street at the corner of Mulberry and Grand is a little ‘ristorante’ called Novella, loosely translated “little novel,” offering a variety of Italian specialties. I opted for the ‘Pizza Pepperoni’ (because Pepperoni Pizza would be just too American sounding!) while my fellow diner opted for the Fettuccine Alfredo. She raved of how good it was; my pizza was delicious, as well. Wound up being the best pizza I had on the trip, and among the best I've EVER had. The sauce was sweet, the crust thin and crunchy, the mozzarella fresh and delightful. The only downside was the water, while refilled frequently (always before my glass was half-full; I am an optimist) is that it was never cold. A minor price to pay for an otherwise fantastic dining experience.