We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-theatre dinner specials

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Pre-theatre dinner specials

My husband and I will be seeing four broadway shows during our September trip (so excited!) and I've heard that some restaurants do pre-theatre specials or menus. The ones I have found seem to be italian family type all you can eat places which sound great for groups, but does anyone know of some places in the area more suited to 2 people? One night we'd like to dress up and go somewhere a bit more pricey (up to around $200 total), other nights we'd be looking at something cheaper. I don't eat seafood, otherwise we are open to any cuisine, just after a great NY food experience all before the show starts at 7 pm! :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Try Sugiyama on West 55th Street.

You might pick-up a Zagat guide, which lists restaurants with cryptic but telling reviews. Zagat (also on-line) lists restaurants by location, cuisine, pre-theater, great for lunch, and numerous other ways. But call or Skype the restaurants to make sure the info is current. And, try to make reservations on-line from the restaurant's website (often they use Open Table, for example) or call at least two weeks in advance.

Four shows. Wow!

oops, sort of missed the seafood. maybe they have beef, too?

Edited: 8:22 am, June 10, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,481 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

One of the best pre theater deals imo is at Capital Grille in the Time Life building. It's a steakhouse but they also have salmon and lamb chops as options for a $39 3 course price.

Toloache doesn't have a special pre theater menu, but is a very good Mexican in the area.

Danji is a very well regarded Korean in the area

Don Antonio has great pizza

Kellari Taverna is a Greek with pre theater menu (I haven't had it)

http://kellari.us/prepost_theater.php

Joe Allen is a theater district institution. The food's average (burgers, salads, meatloaf etc.) but the ambiance is very NYC. If you eat after the show, you might have some celeb sightings.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Thanks for letting me know about Zagat chester, I hadn't heard of the website before. Four shows is probably a lot but we don't get many here and I've been wanting to go to Broadway for a long time - we are planning to make the most of it :)

Your suggestions are great nywhiz, thank you! Joe Allen is a definite and Capital Grille and Toloache sound fantastic too. We also like greek so will check Kellari Taverna out. I think we are going to be eating a lot in New York!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

You can also just show up at 5:00 or 5:15 PM and I don't think you'll have a problem -- that will give you plenty of time for a 7:00 curtain (are all 4 shows 7:00 curtains? -- I would think some are at 8:00). I've never had a problem walking in that early and getting seating at one of the zillions of places along 9th Avenue between 42 and 60th streets (an easy 10-20 min walk to all the theaters in the theater district)

I only ate at Toloache once and it was wonderful, btw

What shows are you seeing

Connecticut
Level Contributor
50 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

I'm a big fan of restaurants on 9th Avenue. Small, very good food, and not as much of the hustle bustle. At the same time it is only a few blocks from the theater district. Many of them have pre-theater specials. Two I've been to a number of times are Cara Mia (http://nycrg.com/cara-mia/) at 9th and 45th Street and Don Giovanni at 358 West 44th Street just off 9th Avenue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Thank you for the extra suggestions! 9th Avenue sounds like the place to be. I think three of our shows start at 7 pm and one at 8 pm - we are seeing Annie, Wicked, Book of Mormon and Matilda. I'd also love to see either Pippin, Kinky Boots or Newsies if we can get some discount tickets and fit another show in to our already very full itinerary!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Of course restaurants in the theater district are likely to promote deals with words like "pre-theater". But you should be alert for the term "Prix-Fixe" (often misspelled) as well. This is usually a three-course menu with three to five entrée choices for a price much lower than the three items sold separately. (Doesn't prix-fixe sound more elegant than Tourist Menu?!)

I have been annoyed that some prominent theater district places (no names, because my data are not from 2013) don't always mention this when you sit down. If you don't see a card inserted in the menu, or a page with a fixed price at the top, ask the waiter "Do you have a prix-fixe menu too?" The worse they can do is say, "No".

Connecticut
Level Contributor
50 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Wow. Four very good shows. I don't think you will be dissatisfied. I don't think someone else mentioned Broadwaybox.com for discounts. The good news is that NEWSIES is listed. The bad news that the other shows you want to see are not. Broadwaybox is a great site, but there will be no discounts for PIPPIN or KINKY BOOTS after they won the Best Revival and Best Musical Tonys. The most cost-effective way to use Broadwaybox is to print out the coupon and go directly to the box office. If you call for tickets they add a ridiculously high surchage PER ticket. By going to the box office you can take your time deciding where you want to sit. If you go when the box office first opens there will be no line.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

Thalia is very good & is around the corner from Book of Mormon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-theatre dinner specials

If you really want to see Kinky Boots (fantastic show btw!) you can show up at the theatre in the am to see if they have anything available (cancellations, unused house seats). Box office opens at 10am but arrive early for the best chance to get tix.

Not sure if Pippin or Newsies has this option but you can check online to find out.

Marseille is a decent French restaurant in the area or for a more casual dinner, you can go to 5 Napkin Burger on 9th (make a res).