We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Hi

Does anyone know of a website that can plan walking routes for me where i can put in more than 1 destination? I am going to NY in July and want to see what I can do by foot and I am not very good with apps and technology! I was thinking I could plan my walking routes before I went if there was a website I could use. I am staying in Times Sq and I know certain siteseeing is within walking distance but I am not sure what order to do them in to be time effective and not go around in circles!

Is there a website that helps plan a route e.g. Time Sq to St Patricks church to Grand Central St to Rockefellar to madison square garden....etc

I know the google maps can give me routes if I put them in individually but I really needed something where I can put the starting point in (TS) and then the sites I want to visit and it works out the best walking route for me....is there any such website?

Can someone also tell me what is within walking distance of TS and what order I should visit these sites please.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,180 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

You can do that on google, just add multiple destinations.

Since Manhattan is on a grid, it's very easy to find your way around. Just follow the numbers.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

And there are lots of things in walking distance of Times Square: what do you want to see?

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,310 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Hi

that was a quick response! I want to see it all really..

I was thinking as we are in TS we should walk and see what we can around the vicnity within half an hour walking radar at the most although of course we know we have to walk for longer to visit various sites when going from ne to the other.

Rockefellar, St Patricks, NY PUblic library, Grand Central Station, ESB, Crysler, Flatiron, Central Park....

what else is around TS?

Mentioned in this post
New York Public Library
New York Public Library
11,657 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,043 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,180 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

It depends on what you consider walking distance. You can get to Greenwich Village in half an hour, but I'd strongly recommend that you plan to take the subway more often than you seem to be planning. You'll want to be able to enjoy the things you're seeing, and it will be hard to do that with aching feet.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,474 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

hopstop.com helps plan a route

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Public buses are slower than subways but you you will expand your reach. There is so much more beyond Times Square. If you are here in early June, be on the look out for these.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2013/05/the-pianos-a…

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,310 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Thank you all, I was thinking of booking the Gray line hop on/off bus for 2 days so we can travel about. I wasnt sure how accessible it was to get to the bus stops when we wanted to jump back on? Are the Grayline bus stops marked up clearly and easy enough to get around?

How long do you think I should spend in each area I hop off in order to get it all seen over 2 days. The bus covers uptown loop, downtown loop, Brooklyn loop and Bronx loop? Maybe I should get the 72 hr ticket as only $10 more? I think it has to be used in consecutive days.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Walking in NY is good but you can walk for hours and never see much. Walking between Avenues will take 2 or 3 times longer than walking between Streets. Times Square is good but there is so much more to see in lower Manhattan. You need to learn the subway or Met buses.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,310 Reviews
New York City, NY
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
621 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

tripomatic.com/United-States/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in New York - route planner advise please!

Thank you all so much. This last link looks promising to plan my days - thank you.