We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
51 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

We arrive in Newark at 12:35pm on July 4th then shuttle to hotel in Chelsea (closest I could find to midtown that didn't break the bank.) I know people start picking their spots early so wondering if we will be early enough to get over there and find a great spot? It's one of the main reasons for us choosing NYC for our weekend trip so would hate to get there and not be able to see them. Thanks in advance for the input!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

I can't tell you anything about the fireworks, but you REALLY don't want to take a shuttle. If you're in Chelsea, the train is likely super convenient to your hotel, and will be faster, cheaper, safer, and more reliable than a shuttle

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
51 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

OK...I will look at taking the train instead. My thinking there was with luggage, and obviously not knowing what the weather will be that day, the super shuttle would be easier.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

The Super Shuttle is NEVER EVER faster. It takes forever. It's awful in NYC and we advise to NEVER use it. if you can manage stairs with the luggage the train will be much faster. You can take the Airtrain at the airport to Jamaica station and transfer to the Long Island Railroad to Penn station and if necessary take a taxi from there.

The fireworks aren't til 9-9:30 so I think you have plenty of time to find a spot.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

They're coming from Newark, not JFK. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

Same story but thanks for the heads up. ;). Take the Airtrain to the airport train station and take a NJ transit train to Penn station and if you want, a taxi from there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

You could think about booking a fireworks cruise or terrace party if you want a guaranteed view.

7. Re: Can we make it to a good viewing area for Macy's Fireworks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 22, 2014