We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

We are a group of 5 (parents plus 3 children in their early 20's) will be in NYC from Melbourne, staying in apartments on the Upper East Side. We are seeking somewhere to have Christmas dinner (or lunch) on the 25th. Mid-priced (as in not top end) altho acknowledging it's Christmas Day. Could be a hotel, restaurant or anywhere with atmosphere and good food, preferably in the area but we're happy to travel if necessary. We'd appreciate suggestions re: a good venue and reviews. Thanks

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Hi!

Did you find anything? We are in the same boat, though our 3 kids are a bit younger and we'll be staying on the Upper West Side.

Cheers,

Natalie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Interested to hear what you have found.

We are looking for something as well. We are staying mid west side with 3 kids aged from 8 - 13

Regards

David

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

G'day WilkoSnr,

My partner and I spent Christmas in New york 2 years ago and had a Christmas Lunch at Tocqueville which was great. It was like finding a hidden gem in NYC that only we knew about.

This year we're trying Bryant Park Grill as we have our parents and Family as one large Group - it's overlooking a skating rink and tree so very "Christmas in New York" feel. My Dad wants an "Only in New York" Christmas Lunch so this is the best I think I can deliver.

For the ultimate Christmas tip though- get yourself tickets to see the Rockettes Christmas special as the ultimate Christmas Treat. Make sure you book now- It's Cheesy, stereotypical Christmas fun, but on Christmas day when you surprise your group with Tix and walk past the hoards of disappointed people that can't get in and watch the Rockettes do their thing- it's an only at Christmas, only in New York event that you just can't replicate anywhere else. Follow it up with a walk up 5th Avenue to see the Christmas windows. Then Rent out "New Year's Eve" on DVD and any woman in the group is gonna cry when they watch Michelle Pfeiffer on the Rockettes stage as they say- "we were there". Trust me- as clichéd as it is, you wont forget it.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

hope you find somewhere lovely for your Christmas in New York City - we spent Christmas day in Washington city last year and were bitterly disappointed as there didn't seem to be anywhere to go to celebrate. However, if you get the chance book into The Boathouse in Central Park for New Years, we were lucky enough to get a booking on very short notice and it was such a memorable and romantic celebration. We would do it again in a NY heart beat.

http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Hi David and WilkoSnr,

Have you managed to book anything for Christmas day yet? We are still searching.

Cheers,

Natalie

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Hi everyone

We will also be in New York this Christmas. We are travelling from Australia. We are thinking of booking 'Friend of a Farmer'. I don't know much about it but it has been recommended before on tripadvisor. The Bryant Park Grill also sounds good....it keeps popping up in books that I am reading at the moment. Please let me know if anyone else has any ideas. We are staying on the Upper West Side. We have booked The Loeb Boathouse in Central Park for New Year's Day lunch. We are looking for somewhere to spend New Year's Eve, if anyone has any great ideas. Thanks Aussie023

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Hi Aussie023,

I booked Friend of a Farmer last week 1.45pm for us 5.

Cheers,

Natalie

(Aussies living in UK)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Actually the Boat House would have been nice for NYE since there are fireworks at midnight in Central Park.

I can't remeber if anyone has mentioned

Opentable.com

On this thread. You can select an areaof the city (ie upper east side or upper west side) and get an idea of what might be open. Mny places only allow bookings 30 days in advance so there a places that might be open that won,t take a booking yet. It's also worth googling best nyc restaurants for Christmas meals or similar. All the food websites like

Eater.com

Seriouseats.com

Grubstreet.com

Zagat.com

Chowhound.com

Have done lists for previous years. There are also old threads on this forum from previous years. One place across from Central Park that was very popular for holiday meals is the Park Room at the Helmsley Park Lane Hotel.

Oklahoma City...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Stayed in nyc last year with family over the holidays and went to a place called cibo. The food was excellent and we felt well taken care of. So much so that we had lunch there once and dinner once during tbe week we were in town. The christmas menu had lots of entree options. It was off 42nd street on eastside

roma
Level Contributor
2 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Christmas 2013 Lunch/Dinner in NYC

Though a bit late for Christmas 2013, I am writing these lines for all those who will be looking for a pleasant lunch/brunch for Christmas day 2014. We have just returned to Europe after a one week vacation in the big apple over XMAS 2013. In spite of some negative recensions we had booked the Intercontinental/Barclay Christmas brunch and were very positively surprised. First, unlike mentioned for the same event in 2012, the service was excellent. The food was very good, including the very fresh seafood and the carving station with the traditional turkey and its stuffing, among many other delicious food items. Price of USD 75 per person seemed appropriate, also considering that you will be eating in an old-fashioned but very elegant hotel. No unpleasant surprises, also with the booking agent used by this restaurant.