We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

magicbelly
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

I am travelling with 2 friends to NYC for 10 days from October 2nd 2013. We are all celebrating our 40th birthdays and will be travelling together for the "whole NY girly experience". I am overwhelmed with choice on where to stay. Our budget is max $200/night each ($600). Two can share a queen bed. I think we want to stay Downtown so we are in the heart of what NY has to offer. I would love some accomodation advice to get me started. Modern and quality would be good! Many thanks everyone.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

I'm not sure what you mean by downtown containing the 'heart' of what NYC has to offer, but I've stayed at a few hotels there. Gild Hall on Pearl St is a great boutique hotel and it's near the Seaport. There is a coffee shop on the adjacent block too. Subway access is very good in this area as is access to the Brooklyn Bridge walk and City Hall, etc. The hotel rooms are big enough, by NYC standards. The bathroom door is frosted glass though, so not sure if your group's level of modesty would tolerate that.

The other hotel I've stayed in heading dowtown is the Wall Street Inn. Rooms, again, are big enough. Wall St. area is quiet at night but there are restaurants and bars right behind the Wall St. Inn. I love this hotel but others have complained about the aloof desk clerks and the quietness of the area. It's a nice hotel. You can see photos of both hotels on oyster.com.

Your budget is going to be a challenge for an October stay. I've found discounts for both of these hotels on quikbook.com and the hotel's own website. If you're planning on being two to a room and you are flexible, you might meet your budget by bidding on a room on priceline. Good luck!

Edited: 7:13 am, May 17, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

Downtown in Manhattan means the financial district, not the middle of the city.

Just confirm what you mean/what type of area you want to stay in. Maybe you do mean staying in downtown but if not....midtown is a typical first timer location but can be quite touristy, while areas such as SoHo or the Lower East Side are nicer neighbourhood areas, have a good selection of restaurants and bars, and still have easy access to the tourist sites (you'll want to plan to use the subway to get around).

If your budget is $600/night for a room with 3 people I think you'll do that quite comfortably.

Edited: 7:30 am, May 17, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,820 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

I'm guessing magicbelly thinks she wants to stay in midtown, and doesn't realize that "downtown" here doesn't mean Times Square, it means the Financial District.

Magicbelly, you're coming at high season, and your budget is WAY too low for you to be picky about location. Luckily, NUC has a fabulous subway system that will get you wherever you need to be quickly, so we should focus on finding you a hotel you can afford near a subway station. It will probably not be in Manhattan, unless you'd like to increase your hotel budget?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

"Our budget is max $200/night each ($600)"

I read that as their budget being $600/night total for a room for 3 people.

Is this really still a low budget?? Or am I reading it wrong?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

It took me a while to figure out you have $600/night to spend. That's plenty! Unfortunately, most hotels in Manhattan have 2 double beds in the 2 bedded rooms, but there are some double queen rooms. With that budget you can probably get a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and a sofabed if you didn't want to share. The San Carlos, the Best Western Hospitality and many of the Affinia suite hotels have 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds. Of the Affinias, the Affinia Gardens is imo the best for a girls trip since it's so close to Bloomingdales and the shops around it. It's pretty modern and has some suites with either a patio or a balcony which could be nice at that time of year. The San Carlos and the BW Hospitality are both very nice (imo nicer than the Affinias at this point).

Probably the nicest, most modern suite hotel is the AKA Central Park but unforunately their suites only have one bed in the bedroom so you'd need a 2 bedroom suite for 3 of you. You might want to contact them and see if they'd be willing to work out a deal for a 10 day stay. It's a great location and a very nice place.

The London is another suite hotel where the bedrooms tend to only have 1 bed but I'd contact them and check that out.

Blakelyhotelny.com

is a lovely small hotel (I always say it feels a bit more like a club than a hotel). You can get a suite there with 2 double beds and a daybed in the living room for ~$450/night plus tax. They include a light breakfast in the room rate and the room has a small kitchenette. The Blakely has traditional decor.

The most modern hotels I can think of with 2 queen bed rooms are the Pearl (pricey) and the Eventi which is a great hotel in a convenient but somewhat unattractive location.

That should give you a good start for searching.

oyster.com

will have photos of a lot of these. Prices will vary from site to site. I would check kayak.com against the hotels' own prices (and maybe quikbook.com)

Btw, it sounds like you want to stay in midtown (downtown is literally down at the south end of the island). All the hotels I've mentioned are in midtown except the Affinia Gardens which is on the edge of the upper east side and midtown.

magicbelly
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

Omg I hope my hotel pick is as great and efficient as your reply's, thanks you all so much. Sorry midtown must be the area we want. Thanks for clarifying. I will have a look into the information supplied, thanks.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

Magicbelly, in Manhattan, "downtown" actually has two quite different meanings, but neither of them is "center city." One meaning, which you've seen above, is to identify an area, the lower Manhattan financial district.

The other meaning is to identify a direction in Manhattan. Going "downtown" means heading south, and "uptown" means heading north. You'll see this on signs for subway entrances all over Manhattan. It can make a difference if you're boarding at one of the stations where entrances to the two sides are on opposite sides of the street and are not connected to each other. You need to decide before going downstairs which direction you're heading.

Once you get the logic of this it's not confusing, but at first it can seem quite odd. You could be on the Upper West Side and want to go to someplace in midtown. So you'd go downtown (a direction) to get to midtown (an area.)

Edited: 8:57 am, May 17, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,820 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

I'm so sorry, I misread your initial post, and thought you were saying $200 a night. Yes, $600 a night will be plenty, as others have told you. Sorry about the mistake!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

I, too, misread the post although it was stated clearly! If you're willing to go uptown, the Beacon Hotel on the UWS has one or two bedroom suites with one or 2 bathrooms. You have to call the hotel directly for the 2 bed/2 bath suite. The one bedroom suite has different configurations (2 queens or 1 queen) but the sofa pulls out into a bed in the sitting area. Good luck with your hotel search.

10. Re: Accommodation recommendation for downtown NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 23, 2014