We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique NY gifts

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Unique NY gifts

I'm looking to bring back gifts for friends and family from New York. I am not interested in generic souvenirs eg "I love *country*" stuff, magnets, keyrings, shot glasses, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for unique gifts that are made or designed in New York? Or things a New Yorker actually uses for under $25?

Edited: 12:52 am, May 14, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique NY gifts

Well, the Transit store is a start. See http://tinyurl.com/ct3bnd4

And the stores in Museums are always a good place to find something a bit different. Bear in mind there's a Met store in Sydney where they have a good but not complete collection of goods that a re on sale in NYC.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique NY gifts

the New York City Store has some great and unique gifts , not the ussual kitchy ( china made ) junk

http://a856-citystore.nyc.gov/

There is also a good gift store based around the subway systemat Grand Central terminal

As if you are planning on purchasing any of the FDNY or NYPD merchandise , buy it from the acctual museums as this money will then go to there charitys, as compared with the cheep knock-offs sold in just about ever souvenier store on 5 th

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique NY gifts

Fishs Eddy is a funky store with some interesting NYC themed items but a lot of it is china/cups etc. which is breakable so not practical for taking home. They do have tea towels, totes, aprons etc.

www.fishseddy.com/browse.cfm/2,102.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique NY gifts

I got all my gifts last trip from the 9/11 Memorial & Museum Shop as the gifts are special with all net profits going to the Memorial & Museum. Lots of FDNY & NYPD merchandise as ree-nyc mentions above. The merchandise is really good quality. Have a look on the website so can see what you might like before you get there. The Made in China stuff all over the city (like every other city in the world) is rubbish. My friends and family were really delighted with their gifts.

I'll be back next month and have booked my visit to the Memorial and will return to the shop again too.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique NY gifts

I agree with Fishs Eddy! It is a combo of New York themed things and things people would use. Another option is T-shirts or caps for local teams (Rangers, Yankess, Knicks, etc.) or local goods/restos (Brooklyn Brewery, Shake Shack) . Urban Outfitters (www.urbanoutfitters.com) has a couple locations in Greenwich Village and tends to have fun, funky items, too.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique NY gifts

The gift shop at the library has some nice gift items.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,181 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique NY gifts

So the foam Statue of Liberty hats are not on the list? :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique NY gifts

Hola.

For great gift ideas we can highly recommend the Chelsea Market which is an indoor market with a main entrance on 9th Avenue between 15th & 16th Streets. It is a “one-stop, NYC culinary/ gourmet food shop and a wholesale-retail wonder world including, but not limited to kitchen equipment and gadgets of every sort, exotic teas, coffees & spices, chocolates, jams, vinegars, oils, pastas, local arts and crafts, books & games, etc. We have come to know the Chelsea Market as one of the magnificent shopping experiences in the NYC.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique NY gifts

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Casa Hoffa, I've picked up some goodies from markets and I love the stuff at Chelsea Market.

Edited: 12:53 pm, May 14, 2013
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique NY gifts

peanut butter m&ms....