We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

Kidderminster
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

I have tried all the airports but NYC seems to be more expensive than other US cities when it comes to car rental. Can anybody recommend anyone within easy access of the city (we'll be based in Manhattan)? Most normal internet searches come up with the usual chains and they are a similar price, regardless of location, but perhaps someone on TA has rented a car from a cheaper independent company? We'll be visiting in August.

Thanks.

42 replies to this topic
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

The last thing you want in NYC is a rental car. You would have to pay at least $25 a night for parking at a garage. AT your hotel you would pay at least $40 a night. In the city cars are useless for getting about as driving anywhere takes forever and there is no parking to be had for anything less than $20 for an hour or two.

If you are going on day trips there are rental agencies, but they are not cheap. Where do you need to go with a rental car? DO you need it for day trips or when you leave the city. The locals might be able to suggest cheaper ways to do what you need to do.

Edited: 10:21 am, May 10, 2013
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

I take it you'll be leaving the city and exploring? If you are not, a car would hold you back. It's expensive to park and would take you ages to get around.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

The cheapest, most reliable rental car service that we have used in NYC is Zipcar, which allows us to rent a car by the hour, day or longer. For more information, see:

http://www.zipcar.com/nyc/find-cars

CH

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

I see from your prior post that you are planning a road trip. I would suggest staying in NYC without a car for the start of your trip, then renting one when you are ready to leave the city. Sometimes people take the train to CT or NJ to get a better car rental rate.

Keep in mind that one-way drop off fees are usually quite high, and that requiring the ability to do a one way rental can increase your base daily rate as well. It's better to plan to return the car to the same location.

Kayak.com is good for comparing rental car prices. Sorry, I don't know of any cheap but reliable independent car rental places. I would think that you would need a larger company for a long road trip in case anything goes wrong with the vehicle.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

Rent a Wreck

http://www.rentawreck.com

They rent cars 3-5 years old instead of 1 year old. They are usually cheaper

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,058 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

ZipCar is great for less than a day, but in my experience once you're going overnight Enterprise is significantly cheaper. The mileage charges on ZipCar start to add up.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

Although we don't rent a car when we go to NYC, we've had good luck getting cheaper prices using Priceline in other cities. For example, in March we got a Toyota Prius from Hertz for $10/day over a weekend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

It is always cheaper to rent through a broker back home than directly on the Avis/Budget/Hertz websites. Use a UK-based consolidator/broker. (I recently gave this advice to a UK expat friend here in NYC, and she saved $400 on a one week rental in California, including the elimination of one-way drop off charges.)

Kidderminster
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

Sorry, should have made it clear that we will pick up the car and head straight out of town (hence why I am not fussed about where I pick up the car from). Will certainly not be driving in NYC if I can help it! Will also be dropping off at the same location... Will try a couple of the above suggestions.

Is it my imagination or is NYC considerably more expensive than LA for car rental? It might also be down to the weak pound which makes it more expensive for us Brits.

Kidderminster
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC

Sorry, should have made it clear that we will pick up the car and head straight out of town (hence why I am not fussed about where I pick up the car from). Will certainly not be driving in NYC if I can help it! Will also be dropping off at the same location... Will try a couple of the above suggestions.

Is it my imagination or is NYC considerably more expensive than LA for car rental? It might also be down to the weak pound which makes it more expensive for us Brits.

Reply to: Looking for a reliable (but cheap!) car rental firm in NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted