We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long JFK layover

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Long JFK layover

I will arrive at JFK at 06:00 on Monday, 27 May and fly from JFK at 16:50 on the same day, giving me about 7-8 hours to go to Manhattan for lunch plus. Am I correct in thinking that there are no discounts for senior tourists on the buses and subways? Also, if one wants to go from (for example) 34th and 8th to 72nd and 3rd will a double fare be required? Are transfers offered and if so is there a price?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long JFK layover

To get a senior discount you have to go through a complicated process involving getting a special ID, so it isn't useful for a one-day trip. For two weeks, maybe.

As for the subway system, once you're in, you're in. You can transfer as many times as you want as long as you don't go outside, without paying extra.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long JFK layover

If you are on your way out of JFK on an international flight, you have to arrive at the airport three hours before flight time. That leaves you about 5-6 hours and that is if your flight lands on time. I am assuming you have not been to the city before, but apologize if this is incorrect. You say you wanted to know about senior rate, so just want to mention that our subways are great, but there are lots of stairs.

Even if you mean that you have to be back at the airport at 16:50 and that your flight leaves three hours later, I would choose a restaurant that is an area where you want to shop, for instance, and walk around, or choose one sight, and then look for a restaurant around there. If you take the plane to the train/vice-versa, you still have to figure 45 minutes to an hour each way.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long JFK layover

My question about the buses is - will I be able to take a bus in Manhattan that goes north or south and transfer to a bus that goes east or west without paying a double fare?

I know N.Y.C. quite well and have no problems getting around physically. Time is also not a concern.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long JFK layover

Hola.

We are >65 years of age and proud holders of MTA senior MetroCards that permit us to ride the busses and subways for 1/2 fares. The process is quick, convenient and not at all complicated. Senior MetroCard can be applied for and received through the mail (or in person). For more information, see:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfapply.htm

You must have the senior MetroCard prior to riding the subways or busses, otherwise you will be charged full fare.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long JFK layover

Yes, with a Metro Card you can transfer between uptown/downtown buses and crosstown buses. If you pay in change, you ask the bus driver for a transfer. As you may know, the fare is now $2.50.

6. Re: Long JFK layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 06, 2014