We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

I haven't missed a parade in years. It is a holiday tradition for me but I am still in search of the optimal location to view it from without having to get up hours before the parade starts to claim a spot. Do tickets ever become available for the Grandstand area?

71 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,342 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Subway, and get there early.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

16 people? And you all want to stand together or right at the front of the route? 6.30am will probably not be early enough to do that...

Liverpool, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Have 2 elderly ladies in wheelchairs can anybody tell me best viewing point for these ladies for the macys thanksgiving parade

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

From the parade FAQ:

Is there special access for spectators with special needs?

Answer: We work closely with a local agency, Hospital Audiences, Inc. who partners with city officials to secure and manage an area along the Parade route to accommodate our spectators with various special needs. Please call Hospital Audiences, Inc. at 212-575-7660 for details.

social.macys.com/parade/…

Otherwise CPW in the high 60's and 70's is probably your best bet.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

I am also going to be in New York for the parade this year and I am looking for the best place to view the Parade-- thanks in advance for all your advise

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Its our first time at the parade... 4 people.. we want to meet up at columbus circle.

Can we bring Chairs? What time should we set up if we bring 4 chairs to columbus circle?

Cliffside Park, New...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Does anyone know if any of the buildings (apartment or otherwise) along the Parade route that offer their space for a price or barter (I'll bring food or whatever satisfies the deal)? I am sure someone has done this in the past. I am also sure that space restrictions or HOA rules might get in the way of individuals offering their spaces to outsiders. But I figured its worth asking the question.

worthington, oh
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Do people who stand at the curb stand the whole time? Or can you sit on a blanket?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

**Can we bring Chairs? What time should we set up if we bring 4 chairs to columbus circle?**

Yes. You need to get there EARLY otherwise you will be sitting and looking at the backs of the people in front of you....People are usually out at 6:30am.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

**Does anyone know if any of the buildings (apartment or otherwise) along the Parade route that offer their space for a price or barter (I'll bring food or whatever satisfies the deal)?**

I doubt it. No NYC building will want non residents/tenants on their property. Security in NYC is a priority and they will not open it up just for a view of the parade....

There are also liability issues that I won't get into.

That being said, I am sure that a few people may post ads for "viewing parties" via their apartments on the route(at a cost.) Some of those may be outright scams...

Edited: 5:46 am, November 24, 2013
Reply to: Best place to view the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted