We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Kingston

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak to Kingston

Hi,

I have just booked tickets via Amtrak traveling from Penn Station to Kingston RI at 08.30 hrs at the end of May. I have already printed off our etickets for this trip, and was wondering where do I head towards and what do I do once I get to Penn (allowing ourselves 30 mins before departure)?

Cheers

Si

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

I've taken that exact train many times. If you've printed Amtrak's new e-tickets, just go to Penn Station (enter on 7th avenue at 32nd Street) and proceed to the Amtrak concourse, all the way straight ahead under the big departure board. The track will be posted about 10-15 minutes before departure and you'll go down to your train.

If all you have is a receipt with a confirmation number, you'll need to stop at a QuikTrak kiosk in the station before the concourse to enter the confirmation number and get a ticket printout.

I assume you have someone picking you up in Kingston?

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

Hi,

Thanks for the advice on this, presuming you display the eticket to the inspector once on the train? Also in your past experience how busy has this train been, we travel on a Thursday. The reason I ask is that we will have a suitcase each and was wondering will it be an awkward walk to the train, I have read that Red Caps are a good option? And with 2 of us will it be a problem sitting together?

Once in Kingston we are catching the RIPTA to Newport, as this seems the cheapest option.

Cheers

Si

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

You'll have to show your e-ticket to someone at the top of the stairs leading down to your track, and then again on the train usually somewhere in New Jersey.

The biggest difference in terms of busy-ness is whether the train originates in NYC or further south; secondary would be what time of day. This is a big business travel route, so trains scheduled to arrive in New York or Boston between 8-10 AM or depart those cities around 4-6 PM tend to be busiest. If the train starts in New York, you'll have no trouble getting seats. Otherwise, you may have to be OK with sitting across the aisle from each other.

It's an escalator down to the tracks, which should be completely manageable with a suitcase. I wouldn't bother trying to find any redcaps.

I've taken RIPTA. It's slow, but it'll get you there, but it's slow.

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

Great info, much appreciated. Was anticipating the RIPTA to take about an hour into Newport, taxi/private hire will probably be around $70 i think although half the journey time.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

The conductor definitely WON'T take your ticket in New Jersey! You won't go through New Jersey. The train from New York to Kingston, RI, goes under the East River into Queens and then over the Hell Gate Bridge into the Bronx. You'll get good views of the Manhattan skyline on the left hand side.

But I'd still prefer to sit on the right for the much longer stretch of pretty views along Long Island Sound (mostly bays and estuaries) much of the way along the Connecticut coast.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

Hire a red cap. It will make your life much easier and put you ON the train before the general boarding call

7. Re: Amtrak to Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 03, 2014