We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC trip planning ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC trip planning ?

Hi Guys ,

I am first time traveler to NYC from Canada . I am on a long car drive with my family reaching NYC from Philadelphia in my final leg of my journey . I am driving with my wife (33 yrs) , son (5 yrs) Father 64 yrs and mother 60 yrs. I am staying in Queens area and have decided to use the subway in NYC ( and not drive my car ) after reading in the NYC forums about difficulties of driving and convenience of subway . I am reaching on 5 th June at noon and leaving NYC on 8 th June noon back to Ottawa.

I have purchased NYC city pass for 3 days and i dont intend to see any museums as i ll be seeing the ones in Washington ( unless you guys recommend any museum over the one in Washington DC) .

## Can someone well versed with the layout of the city and subway , help me plan out the tour for 3 days so that i can see most attractions without traveling back and forth to see them ? Importantly , i want to get the sequence of my travel right on Subway so that my time is not wasted ...

FYI , i intend to see Statue of liberty ( i know its closed due post Sandy hurricane , but want to see it from the boat ride ), Empire state building observatory , Central park , Rockfeller centre , Brooklyn bridge, Manhattan skyline , Top of the rock , Times square , grand central terminus , Staten island ferry , Grand central terminal , The Cathedral of St. John the Divine etc .

I am happy to accommodate any other places you guys think are a must watch for us as a family provided i can make them in those 3 days. However , if its something i need to absolutely see then i might extend my stay by another day , but you guys have to tell me if its worth extending the stay .

I thank you guys in advance for reading and replying to this question .

St. Paul's Chapel
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
St. Thomas Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Times Square Church
Churches & Cathedrals
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC trip planning ?

You can plot out the attractions you wish to see on Google Maps and divide them up accordingly.

maps.google.com

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,790 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC trip planning ?

NYC has several excellent, world class museums. Some would be considered "better" than DC museums, but it really depends on your interests. "Better" is relative.

Sashi's google maps suggestion is a good one. Forum members are rarely willing to build your itinerary from scratch, but are very willing to help you tweak it once you've done some initial planning.

Level Contributor
2,979 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC trip planning ?

Three days is not a lot of time to see the city. Many of the regulars here would have suggested not getting the city pass. Many of the things you mention are not on it or you do not get any savings using it. What does your 5 year old want to do?

We went for 8 days recently and we missed a lot. Enjoy your trip.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC trip planning ?

Down load a map and put all of the attractions you want to see on it. A visual map is the best way forward. When you have all of your attractions on it, the regulars can suggest other attractions close to the ones you want to see, without deviating, thus not wasting your time.

5. Re: NYC trip planning ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 02, 2014