We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 18th busy why?

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
May 18th busy why?

Hey all,

Planning a day trip to NYC on May 18th and I'm noticing that the hotel prices are insane that weekend. On top of that, the only day out of the entire month of May that is unavailable for WTC Memorial tickets happens to be the 18th. My friend and I were considering spending the night instead of doing the three hour drive back home late, but with as high as the hotel prices are and the availability being sparse, we're rethinking that. I'd love to be flexible on my dates, but I don't have weekends off from work and this is the only one I managed to snag for a while. I did some looking around and I can't seem to find anything of big importance going on in the city that weekend. Am I missing something? And is there any way to get some entry tickets on the 18th anyway for the WTC site?

staten island
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 18th busy why?

College commencements happen around that time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 18th busy why?

I would also guess maybe NYU graduations. That's a big graduation weekend. You can usually get tickets to the memorial by buying a NY Water Taxi trip. You can see if that works.

nywatertaxi.com

If you want to stay in the city, the Comfort Inn Chelsea isn't fancy but it's perfectly fine and can be had for ~$230 plus tax for 2 double beds if you prepay. The other thing you could do is stay just outside Manhattan. The Westin Jersey City is $237 plus tax on hotels.com and is really nice. It's right near a PATH train that will have you in the city in no time. On the other side, you could stay in Long Island city at the Verve for $190 plus tax (also on hotels. com)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 18th busy why?

There is always something going on in NYC. College Graduations, large shows at the Javits Center, parades, marathon, X-mas festivities and the like. You may be able to find more reasonably priced accommodations in Long Island City or in Brooklyn. There are several hotels on the fringe of Park Slope that you could look at - the Holiday Inn Express on Union, the Super 8 on 3rd Ave come to mind. Both are near a subway.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 18th busy why?

The AIDS walk is on the Sunday

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 18th busy why?

Thank you everyone. Being a graduate student myself, I can't believe I didn't think of commencement being a possible reason. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks again :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 18th busy why?

Here is my hypothesis:

It is a holiday week-end in Canada (Victoria Day/Fête des Patriotes on Monday 20th). It is a very good (and popular) time for us to travel to NY as the weather is finally warmer but not too hot. So many bus tour and hotel rooms loaded with canadians!

7. Re: May 18th busy why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 27, 2014