We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Hi All!!

Which hotel of the two would you recommend dependant on location/overall condition of hotel?

I have a reservation at the Shelburne but Affinia Dumont is now available on special through Travelzoo.

Not sure which one would be nicer.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Hard decision. The Dumont is larger and has a spa. It's on 34 st which is a big 2 way st. (most sts. are just one way) so there's a crosstown bus going in both directions and a subway stop right nearby. The restaurant in the hotel, the Barking Dog, is supposed to be good for breakfast. It's been more recently renovated.

The Shelburne Murray Hill is only about 3 blocks away (north). It's got a rooftop bar/restaurant with nice views. There's another restaurant off the lobby. While it's near Grand Central, it sits in a quiet area with apartment buildings around it. Honestly I think you'd have a great visit at both places. Which is cheaper?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Thanks nywhiz.

The Shelburne is cheaper by around $100.

The Shelburne is for a one bedroom while the Affinia Dumont is for a junior king suite.

I think from looking at the photos the Dumont looks nicer so I might go with that instead.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Funny and based on that info, I'd go with the Shelburne for $100 less and more space. ;) I was recently in the lobby of the Shelburne and was impressed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

Sorry just had a brain freeze. I meant to say I was sticking with the Shelburne!!

Thanks once again for your help!

5. Re: Affinia Dumont or Shelburne Murray Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 15, 2009