We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway shows

Cortland, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway shows

A group of college friends (all female) are going to NYC in a week and half to celerate our 40th birthdays. We'd like to see a show, but haven't yet made any reservations. We're having a hard time deciding what to see. We're on a moderate budget and would like to see something good, but nothing too dramatic. Any recommendations on what to see and the best/cheapest way to get tickets?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway shows

How many are you (that will affect the cheapest way to get tickets as there are group prices if you're over a certain number).

Have any in the group already seen some shows? How much do you hope to spend per ticket?

Avenue Q is a funny, bawdy musical that's playing off Broadway which makes it a bit cheaper than Bway shows. (But it's still in the Times Square area). You should be able to get discount tickets using a code from

broadwaybox.com

in the left column.

If you'd rather see a musical and just want good fun, Mama Mia is popular with ABBA music. Nice Work If you Can Get It with Mathew Broderick is also just good fun with a famous lead (and Kelli O'Hara has a wonderful voice). He's leaving the show in June. These should also be available with discount codes from the left column of bwaybox assuming you're not a very large group.

I saw Vanya and Masha and Sonia and Spike yesterday with Sigourney Weaver and David Hyde Pierce. It is HILARLIOUSLY funny but tickets are not cheap even though there are some discounts available.

Cortland, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway shows

Our group is seven. I think one has seen Mama Mia before, and they liked it and said if others wanted to see it they would go again. Though that's a possibility, it would be nice to find something new for everyone. Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out the site and the shows you recommneded.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway shows

Playbill.com

Is a good site to see what's playing (under listings). If you click on the name of the show you should get a synopsis, cadt, running time etc.

Didhelikeit.com

Shows reviews. Kinky Boots is a new musical that opened ladt week to good reviews...Cyndi Lauper music, Harvey Fierstein book based on a movie of the same name.

Milwaukee, Wi
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway shows

You should consider Rock of Ages. 4 of us 40-somethings saw it and loved it. You know all the songs! We got tix from TKTS the day of for around $65 I think. I also saw some discounted tickets recently on Travelzoo.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway shows

Rock of Ages is fun, but I'd vote for Newsies. Saw it recently and just loved it.

6. Re: Broadway shows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 15, 2014