We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

Hi All

My husband and I (43 & 40yo from Australia) found the perfect 7 day bus tour from NYC to New Orleans online that would suit us as a followup to 7 nights in New York, we then intended to fly to Las Vegas for a final week - here is a snapshot

NYC/Washington District of Columbia

to Washington DC

to Appalachian Mountains, Virginia.

to Nashville, Tennessee

to Memphis, Tennessee

to New Orleans, Louisiana

HOWEVER - the Tour company is only for up to 39 year olds - we are 40 & 43 Waaaa!!!!

Would this be an easy 'road trip' for us to just do on our own by car or should we be looking at other options.

Love your feedback.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

I would just fly. New Orleans is a fabulous destination to spend a few days. It's easy to explore independently. No car necessary. Or take a train to DC, spend a couple of days there, then fly to New Orleans

The thing about long haul bus tours is that you end up with stops that wouldn't necessarily be places you would choose to visit, you don't get enough time there before you have to climb back on the bus for another long drive, you can have many hours of very boring scenery, stuck in your bus seat, and you are touring with other people who made the dubious choice of a long haul U.S. bus tour instead of doing it independently.

Sorry if that sounds harsh :). It's just not the best option for much of the U.S.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

Appreciate your Thoughts!! Thanks :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

If the locations you mentioned (and possibly others along the way) interest you, I think you could do it. As long as you're comfortable driving on the right (wrong?) side of the road, of course. I've driven much of the area you're talking about, and I don't think the driving would be particularly difficult, especially once you get away from the NYC - Washington, DC corridor.

I like Christnp2's suggestion: take the train from NYC to Washington, DC (you could even stop in Philadelphia and / or Baltimore if those cities interest you). Train service is good in that area, and you'll avoid the worst traffic. Then pick up a rental car in Washington for the rest of the trip (you'll have to do some shopping among the major car rental companies -- Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo, etc. -- for the best deal on a one-way rental that you can drop in New Orleans).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

Great help, and more food or thought, i think now will definately train to Washington, DC. Thanks so much for your time in replying.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

If you decide that you want to drive from Washington to New Orleans check carefully on what the drop off charges will be. They can be quite heavy.

Although flying is the simplest, you could also look into taking a sleeper on the train from Washington to New Orleans. You'd leave in the evening and be in New Orleans the next evening. Not everyone agrees, but I think sleepers can be fun. One feature of Amtrak sleeper service is that all your meals are included and you almost always get seated with other people so you end up having conversations with fellow-travelers. Roomettes are snug, but doable, for two people. Bedrooms are larger.

Edited: 9:13 am, April 11, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

There are some great places to see between NYC and New Orleans, but I wouldn't drive it, not even if I had 2 weeks. I would go directly to DC via train or bus which can be much cheaper than train, spend a few days in DC, and then fly to New Orleans. NO is much more interesting than DC. You can rent a car in NO and drive to the plantations for the day.

Alternatively, you can forgo New Orleans and drive to Charleston and Savannah from DC. Both these cities are beautiful -- great architecture, rich in history, and have delicious cuisines. I think Charleston is a cleaner version of New Orleans. If you go this route, make sure you stop at the South of the Border for some souvenirs!

You don't say when you are planning on your trip. The summer months can be brutal in these cities.

Edited: 9:58 am, April 11, 2013
7. Re: New York to New Orleans ? Road trip or Alt Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2014