We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

devon united kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

Any suggestions or ideas would be appeciated. I have searched on many sites about different things to see, do, eat and stay in New York. But the more i read the more i get confused!! We are staying at the Intercontinenetial TS on the 24-29 Aug. We are going for our 30th bday and would love to see all the main sites, we also eat everything apart from sushi.

We arrive at JFK at 12.30pm and are hoping to drop bags off and go exploring. Here is a rough intinary of what i was thinking.

Saturday:

Drop bags off around 2.30pm?

Go to Madame Tussauds

TOTR - which is the best time to watch the sun go down?

Sunday:

Water taxi, 9/11 memorial

World trade center

chinatown

Little italy

Brooklyn bridge.

Shopping at Century 21 and will explore to see what we fancy for lunch!

Dinner at Trattoria Trecolori.

Moday:

Central Park eat picnic for lunch?

5th ave

Water cruise (SOL)

Evening:

Macys

Empire state building observational deck

Madison square garden? Would like to try Shake Shack.

Tuesday:

Maybe just stay local to TS or revisit places or shop.

Leaving NYC at 5pm was thinking of catching Olympia Newark Airport Express to the aiport. (Newark).

We might see if we can get any tickets to watch a musicial on the fri or sat night. Also we are going to purchase the 3 day New York Pass.

Any help or alterations would be great, Sun & Mon are our only full days. So would like to make the most of it. We are going to try & walk everywhere apart from the cruises we get with the pass.

Many Thanks.

Get dinner at Bubba Gump and explore the area on the way back to hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

Your trip will be wonderful. Your asking for advice and taking on what people are saying and your trip is starting to look good.

Here is a recent trip about options for getting close to SoL....

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6314…

You can buy tickets to the ESB online, print them up and take them with you. The tickets don't need to be day/time specific. Don't buy them off the touts on the street at the ESB....

I am sure you'll be able to get tickets to ToTR same way (tho' I've never tried).

RE the subway tickets...if you're going to be together the WHOLE time, you can get a ticket that you can share and work out how much to put on it in advance depending on what you want to do...

mta.info/mnr/html/planning/fares/fares.htm

I would catch the subway to 9/11 - not the water taxi - you're already doing a cruise..if you do one of the Circle Line tours you'll see the same things: circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/cruise-sch…

Not sure there is a juke box, but Carnegie Diner is an institution....and in the area you'll be in for your Saturday night...

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/home.php

Edited: 5:25 pm, April 04, 2013
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

We just stayed at that hotel for two nights. Great bathroom! What I would give for that shower.

Anyways shake shack is basically in the same building. Great burgers.

We had a bad experience with NY Taxi for our SOL tour. I would not go back to them.

We liked free tours on foot they show you a lot in two hours. They have tours of many of the places you mentioned.

Enjoy your trip

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
306 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

In terms of your picnic in Central Park note that August can be very hot and humid -- I was in Manhattan in the middle of August last year and ended up taking three showers a day.

August is a great time to hit some museums -- there are many (many) smaller museums that are great for getting cool and absorbing culture and history. A few I would recommend are the New York City Police Museum near Wall Street, the Skyscraper museum (my partner loved it, I found it just ok), the New York Historical Society (right on Central Park next to the Museum of Natural History, and the Museum of the City of New York (Uptown on the east side of central Park.) Any one of these would give you more insight into New York City (and provide air conditioning and a clean toilet too.)

I would also second the recommendation that you use the Air Train and Subway from JFK -- it is easy and cheap, and by the time you get to the hotel you'll be an expert on subway transport.

Edited: 6:16 pm, April 04, 2013
Yateley, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

I've just spent 3 days there and this is what we did, if it helps... Don't forget NYC never sleeps so you can do a lot of things right up until midnight and beyond. Most days we headed out at about 10am and didn't call it a night until around 1am! Also make use of the vast amounts of "fast food" places, you can grab lots of nice food to go, restaurants generally have wait times for tables and service can be slow.

Saturday arrived at our hotel in Times Square, dumped bags and headed into Times Square to soak up some atmosphere, grabbed dinner at the shake shack, back to hotel to change and shower and went to wicked at 8pm. After that we jumped in a cab and headed to a bar called 230 fifth, which has a rooftop terrace looking across to Empire State Building.

Sunday we headed to Greenwich village by metro and visited magnolia bakery, then we jumped on metro to Wall Street, charging bull, battery park, south street seaport and then to 9/11 for our 5pm time slot. That evening we visited the shops in Times Square (M&M world, Hershey's, Disney, toys r us etc)

Monday we walked to Central Park and covered about 1/3 of it including the boating lake and Alice and wonderland, then jumped in a cab to 5th avenue and did some shopping, cab back to hotel to drop bags then jumped in metro down to soho and the shops there. Metro back to hotel and that evening we got metro to Empire State, had dinner and went up to viewing deck at around 10.30. We got a cab back to hotel.

Tuesday we got metro to Rockefeller and went up the viewing platform then grabbed lunch within the Rockefeller. Then walked to New York public library and grand central, then got metro back to hotel for our 5.30 pick up for airport!

We used cabs a lot more than we expected cos they are so readily available and not too pricey, we never paid more than $15 for a cab, when you're short on time, paying a little bit more than a metro/bus is worth it.

15. Re: Help needed for 3 day itinary, first timers to New York!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2014