We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11.5 hr layover in JFK

Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
11.5 hr layover in JFK

In June I am going to Dublin, Ireland. There will be four of us. Our layover is in JFK and we will arrive there at 5:30 am. Our flight to Dublin leaves at 5:30 pm. What can we go do and what time should we head back to JFK? Is there a place to stash our carry on bags so we don't have to lug them around NYC? I've never been to New York and would love to see times square, is that possible in 11.5hrs?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,125 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

It is definitely possible for you to go into Manhattan. Understand by the time you arrive and deplane and get your luggage, we are talking 6:30 or so. Generally you need to be back at the airport 3 hours before an international flight, so figure be there by 2:30 and leave Manhattan an hour before that. ( I am assuming you are going on a weekday! )

www.jfk-airport.net/luggage-storage.html

gives info about JFK storage. Who are you flying to Ireland--then we will know the terminal. Ideally you should leave it in your departure terminal. If you have to leave it elsewhere, I would add another 20-30 minutes ( to get there, get it, find air train and get to the proper terminal.

You can be in Manhattan by 8AM or so--time for breakfast and walking around. With all that time, I would consider a HOHO bus--to just get on and ride a loop--and just get a survey of NYC ( and then make your next vacation HERE, not Ireland!!)

Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

we are taking jetblue to nyc and aerlingus to ireland, it is a week day, a tuesday. It will be june 18th.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

I think Aer Lingus is a partner of Jet Blue. R U on ONE TICKET? then luggage SHOULD be transferred. Check that when you check-in at JetBlue.

Jet Blue is Terminal 5. Aer Lingus is Terminal 4.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,125 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

Effective April 2 or 3 or something like that Aer LIngus is moving into the Jet Blue terminal. So you will be in Terminal 5 for everything. (just researched that yesterday for someone else) The info is on the Aer LInguis website.

Odds are you checked bags will be ticketed all the way through. Terminal 5 does not seem to have a luggage check--verify when you get there and then leave your hand luggage in the other terminal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

Consider a layover tour so that you don't need to worry about directions, timing of your flights and getting back to the airport, etc:

www.ontimenewyork.com

Manhattan NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

It sounds like you would have enough time for a quick glimpse of the City. I suggest you take a yellow cab that holds 4 people(dispatcher will help;don't take an offer for a ride from anyone) straight to Times Square (set fare plus toll and tip runs about $70, not bad for 4 people). Some people love Times Square, some don't. Decide for yourself!

Then head east on 42nd St. At 6th Ave is Bryant Park, lovely little park surrounded by skyscrapers. Next at 5th Ave is the NY Public Library, a gorgeous building guarded by two famous lions, Patience and Fortitude. Look Inside and go up to the main reading room.

At the corner of 5th Avenue and 42nd St look East and you will see the top of the Chrysler Building, an art-deco masterpiece and in my opinion the most beautiful skyscraper anywhere. Continuing East you come to Grand Central Terminal, perhaps the grandest train station around. Go in and go to the center, the room is the largest interior space in NYC. Note the ceiling, which has an outline of the heavens(backwards!). If you are hungry, there is a food court down below.

Continuing East,you come to the Chrysler Bldg lobby. You may be able to take a quick peek, but you can't tarry or go up to the top. Further East on 42nd St by the East River is the UN complex. The buildings are nothing special, so if you don't have time for a tour, I would give it a pass.

A yellow taxi back to JFK, at the same set fare, and you should make your connection.

While you have gotten a very small taste of what NYC has to offer, hopefully it will strart you planning for a much longer visit!

Have a great time in the Old Sod(my parents were from Mayo).

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

makes sense Aer Lingus would move into T5. THey are "partner airline" with JetBlue.

8. Re: 11.5 hr layover in JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2014