We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York weather

North England
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New York weather

My husband and I are coming to New York for a week beginning next Wednesday and I have been looking at different weather forecasts to try and see, firstly, what type of clothing I should pack and secondly, to try and second guess which days might have the best weather or no rain forecasted!! so I can prebook some tours like the hop on hop off cruise + 9/11 memorial ticket.

We hope to do a lot of walking but also hope to use the subway frequently. Are the temperatures of the two areas very different? And if so is it best to pack for cold or for warm conditions?

I was wondering if people nearer and more used to New York weather could give me some advice please.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York weather

I don't think there's something like 'the best site'

I usually pick the one that gives the best weather forecast ...

that apart, I like this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/weather

and this one:

accuweather.com/en/…1668543277

Edited: 2:54 pm, March 29, 2013
Spring Hill...
Level Contributor
245 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York weather

http://www.weather.com/

Last week my daughter and I were in the city (Mar 21-27).

It was cool if not cold most days we were there and I saw MANY

winter coats, hats, boots and gloves...even though spring fashions

were in the store windows!!

Be prepared to layer and add or subtract as the day may

dictate!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,691 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York weather

I use www.ny1.com - local 24 news/weather channel here but that is their website and as accurate as any other weather site.

Next week is projected (which, right now, doesn't mean much) to be in the mid-40s or so.

I don't know what you mean when you say "Are the temperatures of the two areas very different?" What two different areas?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,827 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York weather

If the two different areas you are referring to are the subway--well, the cars are heated the platforms aren't--but are generally okay. You are NOT going to dress for the subway, you dress for the street. In the middle of the winter when it is below freezing, people are wearing heavy down coats, hat, gloves and boots--they do not take them all off when they get on a train!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York weather

www.ny1.com/content/weather/7_day_forecast/

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York weather

I don't know what two areas you are speaking of.

The weather in Lower Manhattan is generally not any different than Midtown. There are those very rare occasions that New York will be sort of between two weather systems and Southern Staten Island will have different weather than in The Bronx but that is generally very rare (but it does very occasionally happen)

We are finally turning the corner. Monday March 25th was almost 15 degrees below normal. The past 10 days and the past 30 days have been significantly colder than normal however the rumor is that we are turning a corner here.

Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful but it will turn colder again on Tuesday however it should regulate quickly.

As we get into Spring, the weather systems that bring rain move faster. The rain generally doesn't linger as long in the Spring as it does in the winter. Can you tell I spend a lot of time listening closely to the weather on the news? So, just because rain may be in the forecast, it doesn't mean a full day of rain - it may rain from 3:00AM to 10:00AM. Sleep late and you miss it. But it still has to carry the "rain" icon on the weather map. So, don't look at that rain icon and expect a total washout. Yes, we can have big heavy rains that hang around but that tends not to be the norm as it is more April showers - they come and they go.

We should hopefully at least hit 50 degrees every day (maybe not Wednesday - but certainly everyday afterwards). That is what the trend looks like right now. You don't really get a lot of specificity until 48 - 72 hours out but that seems to be the thinking right now.

North England
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York weather

Thank you so much for these replies.

The two areas I mean are the outside and the inside - the subway and the inside attractions.

We hope to walk which will mean we are outside but then use the subway when required to get to the attractions and then we will be inside. In London it can be very cold on the outside but when you go on the underground and into buildings it is really warm so the clothing you have for walking around becomes a problem.

I just wondered if it was cold enough outside in New York to need extra winter clothing as this type of clothing takes up a great deal of luggage space and I am trying to travel light.

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York weather

I have just returned from NYC and the weather was mainly dry and sunny, around 6 degrees. It is cold but a shirt, jumper and jacket will be perfectly ok.

Level Contributor
2,378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York weather

Yes to your question they crank up the heat in most places. We are here now and it has been cold. We are glad we had gloves. Also one day I had to buy my son new shoes since his were so wet from the rain.

Many places have coat checks and we used them. Enjoy your trip.

10. Re: New York weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014