We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark to NY Penn station advice

WELSHPOOL,WALES
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Newark to NY Penn station advice

louandray

WELSHPOOL,WALES

reviews: 5

Save this Post

We are planning on getting the Airtrain and NJ Transit to get from Newark Airport to our Hotel next week. I have been reading reports on this forum and believe it will cost $12.50. I am sure I read somewhere recently that if you are planning on getting the 7 day subway card, which we are, then it is a good idea to get one and use it for the NJ Transit part of the journey. Is this right and if so, how do we go about getting the subway pass? Also, we are staying at The Jewel facing Rockefeller and am wondering if we would be better to get a cab from Penn Station or walk or is there a nearer station we could go to? Really looking forward to our trip (myself and 2 teenage daughters) and have found this forum really helpful in planning our days. Many thanks in advance for your help.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit is excellent - great choice.

The MetroCard is not valid on NJ Transit (or AirTrain Newark). It looks like you are getting AirTrain Newark and the JFK AirTrain confused. MetroCard is accepted on the JFK AirTrain *and* you can use your unlimited ride MetroCard on the subway from the JFK AirTrain into Manhattan (but not the unlimited one on the JFK AirTrain).

You can not use the MetroCard at all on AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit.

It is $12.50 per person for the combined AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit into New York Penn Station. Trains are fast and efficient - it is a very pleasant journey without the hassles of traffic and the discomfort of being squeezed into a sedan for what feels like an interminable journey with traffic (particularly after you've been squeezed in a flying tube for almost 8 hours)

As soon as you get to New York Penn, ask anybody to point you to a NYC subway booth - there are several. That is where you'll buy your unlimited ride MetroCards for $30. per person (plus $1.00 to purchase each card).

You can either take the Uptown 1 local train two stops to 50th Street / 7th Avenue *or* you can take the Uptown E train four stops to 53rd Street / 5th Avenue. I would decide based on which subway were closer to where I was standing in Penn Station. It is a slightly shorter walk to The Jewel from the E train's 5th Avenue station at 53rd Street but it really doesn't make a big difference.

If you're not in a super hurry and you want to travel by NYC bus (included in your unlimited ride MetroCard) to your hotel, you can either step outside on 32nd Street and 7th Avenue and get any of the city buses queuing up across 7th Avenue (these buses will be marked M.4 and / or Q.32). These buses start their runs outside Penn Station, they proceed east on 32nd Street to Madison Avenue, they turn left on Madison Avenue and they stop near 50th / 51st Streets. It is a pleasant experience - you'll pass the Empire State Bldg. and just see some cool sights enroute.

Remember to ignore the touts at the airport trying to sell you an illegal taxi / sedan / airport transfer. The yellow cabs are legal but the people who approach you and solicit you are not. Just deal only with uniformed people at the airport. The airport is really the worst experience for visitors - the Port Authority has the jurisdiction for the airports and they don't really care about enforcement. Once you are in New York City and in NYPD's jurisdiction, no worries except I still say avoid the touts around the Empire State Bldg trying to sell you some ridiculously overpriced SkyRide garbage.

WELSHPOOL,WALES
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

Thank you for your help. Will do as you suggest and get the metrocard when we get to NY Penn then get the bus to nearer the hotel. All sounds straight forward. Just one more thing, when we board the Airtrain in Newark, do we just buy a ticket to NY Penn on the train or do we purchase this before we board?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

Hey louandray:-) Before;-) It's a combo ticket for $12.50 p/p.. includes both the air train and NJ transit into NYC Penn Station;-) Hold on to the ticket to show the conductor on the train into the City.. and EnJOY!

Stoke On Trent
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

The airtrain is free to use , Once you get to the airport train station you buy your ticket to NY Penn, Buy them from the vending machine before you go downstairs to the platform.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

Actually, you are paying for the Newark AirTrain. The cost is built into the New Jersey Transit fares from the Newark Airport station. As indicated, you exit the AirTrain, go upstairs via elevator or escalator, buy your ticket for the combined AirTrain/New Jersey Transit trip, go through the fares gates, and then downstairs by elevator or escalator to the NJ Transit platform. It's very easy and well marked. There are personnel (not touts!) at the ticket vending machines to help you if needed.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

Very easy and very clearly marked.

There are uniformed people on AirTrain Newark (at the stations) and at the Rail Transfer Station. They're there to help.

It is $12.50 for the combined ticket. You can either pay at the terminal or when you get to the Rail Transfer Station (it doesn't make a difference).

The charge for AirTrain Newark is integrated in the single $12.50 ticket price.

WELSHPOOL,WALES
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

Thank you all for your replies. I know what to do now so it has put my mind at rest. Its the first time of travelling with my daughters without my husband. He decided to send us girls off on our own. Just wanted to make sure I know what I am doing!! Can't wait for our adventures to begin, roll on Monday!

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

This post has been very helpful for me too. Thanks. I am travelling in Sept and was trying to figure out the best way to travel to my hotel.

I look forward to reading your trip report when you come back to see if I can get advice re: where to go etc.

Enjoy :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

BTW, if you know for certain you will be taking the train back to the airport for your return flight, you can purchase a roundtrip ticket to begin with. I did that last time and it saved a little time and effort when I walked back into Penn to leave. With return ticket already in hand, I just had to walk up to the large announcement screens to see where the next train would be boarding, and was on one within 10 minutes. They're very frequent during peak hours, taper off some during off peak.

10. Re: Newark to NY Penn station advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014