We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

I will be flying to LGA in April and will have about 6 hours to make a transfer to JFK so time is not an issue, but I have been looking at the different shuttles available and was originally interested in pre-booking an NYC Airporter or ETS Shuttle ticket but now I have read many bad reviews about both.

Are there any other inexpensive ways to make the transfer and if I took a taxi, how much would I approximately pay?

Thanks

85 replies to this topic
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Taxi may be in the ballpark of $30. - $35.

You can take the Q.33 bus from LaGuardia to the very last stop (about a 25 minute trip). At the very last stop, you can transfer to a Jamaica Center bound E train. You'd get off one stop before the last stop - it is called Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK AirTrain. That is where you get off and you take the JFK AirTrain into your terminal. The bus and subway combined is $2.50 and the JFK AirTrain is $5.00. You'll need to buy a $7.50 MetroCard and you'll be charged $1.00 for the card so $8.50 (and a free souvenir MetroCard to keep)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
909 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Every transportation company in New York has bad reviews, take reviews with a grain of salt. Remember these companies transport 1000's of people on a daily, you can't judge on some bad reviews online.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Really helpful instructions; I looked it up on google maps and the subway/bus route seems to be the best idea as I'll get to experience multiple parts of NY for a very low price. And I like the souvenir idea.

Thanks.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Excellent - Just remember to buy your MetroCard at LaGuardia Airport.

Take any Q.33 bus and do not get off the bus until it gets to the very last stop - the bus will pull in underneath an overhang and the driver will cut the engine. You'll go directly from the bus into the subway station. The mistake people make is that they get off the bus as soon as it gets to Roosevelt Avenue and they see the elevated 7 train. Stay on the bus until the last stop - you can't go too far.

Board a Jamaica Center bound E train but do not stay on until the very last stop - get off at Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK AirTrain. It is one stop before the last stop. E trains have all new rolling stock and it shows all the upcoming stations on a computerized display - really cool stuff.

Then simply take the JFK AirTrain into your terminal and you're there - bon voyage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Thanks, just a couple of more questions:

Just to make sure I've understood, buy a metcard at LGA (Will I easily find places that sell it in the arriving terminals?), and then I pay cash separately once I get to the airtrain?

Also, I've never used the subway before, how will I know what the next stop is. Is there an announcement or some LED banner inside the cars. And lastly, do you know if this subway is very busy during 3-4pm on a weekday?

Thanks

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

There are MetroCard Vending Machines near the main bus stop in the Central Terminal Building. What airline are you coming into LaGuardia with?

There are computerized displays on the trains. It tells you what train it is and where it is going. Inside it lists all the upcoming stops and it updates as it goes. As soon as you board, you'll see what the next 10 stops are. You'll even see Sutphin / Archer / LIRR listed. It is computerized and it really works (despite what we thought when the trains were new and everybody said give it six months and it'll be totally broken - it really works).

You'll buy one MetroCard from the vending machine for $7.50 plus the $1.00 fee. You tell the machine you want to purchase a $7.50 MetroCard. It is all touch screen - very user-friendly. You can punch in "other amounts" $7.50 is what you want. You'll pay $8.50. This will cover the bus and your free transfer to the subway. Don't worry - you swipe your MetroCard a second time but the reader will know you swiped on a bus and it will not deduct another $2.50. You will swipe this MetroCard when you board the JFK AirTrain. It will deduct $5.00 for boarding the AirTrain and then you'll have a souvenir MetroCard with no value left on it.

There will be plenty of people on the subway at that time but it shouldn't be too too crowded. You should get a seat and you will not be squeezed in - you'll have plenty of room but it also will not be eerily quiet or anything. You'll be safe and you'll find it is easy and convenient.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

MoreFFMiles,

Thank you for your responses to my thread. It's like they say, its the journey and not the destination that counts, and that is just what I am looking for.

I really appreciate your detailed replies and will be looking forward to my time in NY.

Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

(apologies for old-thread resurrection, but this is exactly what we're considering, and would like to ask a follow-up or two)

Assuming MoreFFMiles' suggested method [ Q.33 bus to very last stop; Jamaica Center bound E train to next-to-last stop; JFK AirTrain to terminal ] still works, we're wondering:

- what's the frequency of each bus/train involved, specifically starting from LGA at around 1:15 pm on a Wednesday?

- what is approximate total transfer?

- is this method appropriate baggage-lugging-wise for four passengers, each with one rollerboard carry-on bag and a small backpack?

- is the total cost still $8.50 per person?

FYI - Our LGA domestic arrival is 12:55 pm; JFK international departure is 6:20 pm.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

The amount is $7.50 per person, plus a card costs $1. Unless you each really want your own card, there's no reason to buy a card for everyone.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,817 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?

Still works, still $7.50/person + card fee of $1.00 ( can load all $ on one card, buy metrocards @ LGA terminal before you board bus), trains pretty frequent, luggage you are able to carry yourself should be no problem, look for wheelchair signage @ subway station if you wish to avoid stairs. (Note: E train is downstairs)

Q33 bus schedule: www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q033cur.pdf

E Train schedule: www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf

Air train: www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

Edited: 11:02 am, June 14, 2013
Reply to: Need the latest info on LGA-JFK Transfer; cheapest way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted