We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Park and Ride PATH into NYC

I would like to stay in NJ and take the PATH train into NYC on a weekday. In the DC area the terminal stations on our subway (Metro) all have large parking facilities that offer day parking for riders. I've been told that Journal Square is a good option for me to Park and Ride on PATH. Is this a possibility with PATH and is Journal Square in fact a good option? My reasoning for Journal Square is that based on what I see on the PATH web site I can take the PATH train to 33rd street which is close to where I need to be. Hotels in NJ are less than half what they are in mid-town and I would like to try to limit my expenses as much as is reasonable.

Thank you for any input.

-MH

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Things are a lot different here. The D.C. MetroRail goes into some very suburban areas. You get down into Franconia / Springfield and out toward Vienna etc. and you're out in the 'burbs.

The PATH operates in a very urban area. Downtown Newark, Harrison, Journal Square and Jersey City are heavily populated / densely built up urban areas.

With that being said, yes, there is pay parking at Journal Square.

It would be helpful to get a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish. Are you say driving up for an interview or a business meeting for which you do not expect to be reimbursed? You want to drive up the night before?

Bear in mind that taking the bus up might save you enough to be able to stay in Manhattan.

If you're planning to drive up, you might want to look into something like the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City. The Marriott website says parking is $16.00 / night. There are several hotels there and then you simply get the PATH train at Pavonia / Newport to 33rd / 6th.

If you're looking for even cheaper lodging - like south of Newark where you can find decent quality hotels in the Woodbridge NJ area for less and then you want to drive up to Jersey City to park at Journal Square, you can do that. It looks to me like 24 hour parking is in the ballpark of $10.00 but I don't know how old that information is.

Is this helpful? I'm trying to sort of guess at what you're trying to accomplish here.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

This trip is pleasure in nature. I'll be meeting some friends in the area of Penn Station. I'm driving up because I'll be continuing north of NYC for something else so this is really a stop on the way. My intent was to arrive the night before and then take the PATH train into NYC in the morning. I'd be leaving to continue to my next destination in the evening.

I'm aware that the area where the PATH train goes is an urban area. I don't have tons of money to dedicate to this part of the trip. Plus it is just one day of a larger trip. That was my reasoning for staying in NJ to take advantage of the lower hotel rates as compared to staying in the city.

I usually stay at hotels in the Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn range. I'm willing to explore other options as well. I see there is a Holiday Inn Express in North Bergen that has decent reviews and isn't that far (by Google maps standards) from Journal Square.

I appreciate your input.

-MH

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Did you look at the hotels in Long Island City? Less distance to go when you're ready to move on.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Another option, if money is tight, and when isn't money tight...

Let's face it - money is always tight and with this economy, it is only getting more difficult and challenging. Wages aren't increasing however the cost of everything is rising and the working man's Purchasing Power Parity is declining (see, I really learned something in business school)...

Anyway, consider taking Interstate 81 north as this avoids the excessive tolls through the Baltimore area, all the toll roads, toll bridges, etc. No tolls on I-81 north to I-78.

Rather than heading for North Bergen, consider exiting I-78 at Interstate 287 and taking I-287 north to I-87 and crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge. This will bring you into Tarrytown NY, White Plains NY, etc. Good hotels and easy access to Midtown Manhattan on the Metro North Commuter Rail Road. Less expensive tolls too.

You can choose anything from Tarrytown NY to White Plains NY to Rye NY to Greenwich Connecticut to Stamford Connecticut. All of these places are served by the Metro-North Commuter Railroad and you'll find plenty of fast / frequent / very affordable transportation into Manhattan and you'll be positioned in the right place to continue your trip.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Imo parking by the path is just as bad if not worse than Manhattan.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Did you read the question? Parking isn't the issue.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Parking at the PATH at Journal Square is far less expensive than paying the toll to drive into Manhattan and paying for parking in Manhattan. If he were simply driving from Virginia to go to a meeting or an interview near Herald Square, this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Because he's heading north, positioning a car at Journal Square is a hassle and this is why I recommend something along I-287 in Westchester or even in Stamford CT

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

Very often you can get a 4* hotel in the Jersey City/Hoboken area on Hotwire at a very good price. The hotel options you'd get for a 4* on Hotwire are the Westin (near Newport PATH), the Hyatt (near Exchange Place PATH, the W Hoboken (near Hoboken PATH) or the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. The first 3 are all near a PATH station (but 3 different stations). While those hotels do charge for parking, if you get a good price, it's worth it and you can walk to the PATH train. If you win the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, it's literally across the Hudson River from midtown. You can either take the ferry which stops in front of the hotel on weekdays or if it's a weekend, drive down the street to Port Imperial and park the car there for $10 for the day. In fact, that ferry terminal is another option for parking regardless of where you stay. You can park for $10-12/day at Port Imperial and take either the ferry (which is pricey but fast) or a bus over to Manhattan.

nywaterway.com

is the website with ferry information.

Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ is another option. There's bus service along Boulevard East into Manhattan (stops at Port Authority).

http://goo.gl/maps/qEaZc

Another idea is to stay at the Hilton at Penn station in Newark from which you can catch a train to Penn station in Manhattan. The least attractive option imo but an option nonetheless. If you stay up in Tarrytown/ White Plains/Greenwich area, remember to consider the cost of the train and the time it will take. This is a 40-60 min. commute on Metro North commuter trains.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

If you stay at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, NJ (on 2nd St) parking is free at the hotel, and it's 1/4 mile to the Exchange Place PATH station, and 1/3 mile to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station. And I have stayed there many times, and never had other than a great experience.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

To get there, go towards and past Exit 14C of the NJ Turnpike (as if you are headed for the Holland Tunnel) but exit at Columbus Blvd. At a one-way street just over the trolley tracks turn left to the hotel. If you miss that exit (but don't), turn right at the first light, curve left, and turn right, and you're almost there.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park and Ride PATH into NYC

If you want to stay in Manhattan and avoid the last 60 miles of driving, take a NJ Transit Commuter train (runs every 20-30 minutes; not like VRE) from the Hamilton, NJ, train station, off Exit 65B from Interstate 295 in NJ (65 miles from the Del. Mem. Bridge).

Parking is $7 or $8 per day. The train is $15 each way, and you avoid the last 60 miles of tolls, gas, and aggravating NYC-style driving. The garage is huge, and there is a big lot that they make available on the rare day that the garage fills up.

This can be thought of as one of many New York equivalents to Franconia-Springfield, but because the New York area has 3 times as many people as our DC area, this sort-of-equivalent station is 3 times as far away.

The trip take 1 hr, 10 minutes, but it gets you into Manhattan with no backups in the Lincoln Tunnel.

Edited: 1:36 pm, March 25, 2013