We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kid friendly restaurants

naples
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
kid friendly restaurants

Hi. We are staying in NYC next week with children 9 and 11. Fancy food is not part of our plan this trip. Can you all name off some decent places to feed kids (even food trucks work for us)? We plan to do all the touristy stuff - staying in Times Square, going to 9/11 Memorial, Museum of Natural History, Empire State Building. Would like to try pizza at some point. How is Carmines on UWS? Any places near 9/11 Memorial? Thanks. I am going to post my tentative itinerary too.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kid friendly restaurants

There are literally thousands of places to feed kids. Any diner, any halal or hot dog cart, any pizza place, any deli will be fine. There's not much that distinguishes one from another unless you're looking at high end places, which you're not.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kid friendly restaurants

Although I've been to the 911 memorial 4 times in the last 2 weeks with student groups, I don't lump it in with all the usual touristy things and I do hope you speak with your children about Sept 11 before you arrive especially since they weren't born then.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…sept-11-2012.html

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kid friendly restaurants

This topic has been discussed numerous times on the New York City forum, so you'll find alot of good recommendations by looking at these posts - and there are 25 pages of them! :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=5&geo=60763&scope=2&q=kid+friendly+restaurants&s=D

and

tripadvisor.com/…48112345

naples
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kid friendly restaurants

Sorry - did not mean to word it like that. I do anticipate this being a somber part of our trip and one of the main reasons we are even visiting New York. My boys cannot wrap their heads around why this happened and we hope to enlighten them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kid friendly restaurants

menupages.com

is a great resource. You can search by area and by food type. In the features menu once you've done a search, they also have a designation for "kid friendly." Frankly, in NYC, if it's not fine dining, it will be kid friendly. In Times Square, some of the usual suspects:

John's Pizzeria in a converted church on west 44th st.

Carmine's (yes the same as the one uptown) also on west 44th st. serves family style meant to be shared.

Shake Shack has locations near Times Square and near the Mus. of Natural History

Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien Hotel near the south end of Central Park

Don Antonio's pizza in the west 50's. I like this slide show about Don Antonio

…seriouseats.com/archives/2012/02/what-to-ea…

Virgil's BBQ

Try to avoid the chains that may be familiar to you (Applebees, TGI Fridays etc.) as they tend to be overpriced in NYC with poor quality vs. the more local places.

If you want to expose the kids to some different etnic foods, there's Turkish (Akdeniz) Ethiopian (Queen of Sheba), Cuban (Guantanamera) and loads more.

Don't miss going to Greenwich Village. You and the kids will love it. Washington Square Park is a people watchers paradise. The Union Square area has lots of good shopping and people watching not to mention the green market.

6. Re: kid friendly restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014