We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single traveler through NYC

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Single traveler through NYC

I am flying into la guardia and then need to get to Woodstock for a couple of days and then back to NYC. How will I get to Woodstock? Are there hotels near the port authority? Is the port authority near times square? Thanks for any help!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,366 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single traveler through NYC

You can get to Woodstock using Trailways Bus: www.trailwaysny.com/html/english/fares.asp

Port Authority is in a very central location and there are many of hotels within walking distance, and many more with easy subway access. Where to stay will depend on timing and your budget. Hotel prices will vary by exact date. Whether you'll be able to hop right on a bus will depend on your flight arrival timing. You don't necessarily have to stay walking distance from Port Authority if you need to keep costs down.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single traveler through NYC

Port Authority is actually in the part of town known as Times Square; the block of 42nd Street with several Times Square attractions on it is anchored by Port Authority at one end of it. As Christnp2 says, you take the bus to Woodstock.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single traveler through NYC

Thanks for the information! How would I get from the airport to the port authority? Is it a long distance? I've got the weekend in July chosen, but I'm not sure which days I'll be in which area yet. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single traveler through NYC

You can take a taxi for ~$35-40 or a bus to a subway for $2.50. Start using

maps.google.com

type the trip at the top (LGA airport nyc to Port authority bus terminal nyc) If you just click directions, you get driving directions and estimated time to travel, which gives you an idea of what it will take by taxi. Click the train icon to the right of the car icon on the upper left corner for directions for bus/subway.

nyccabfare.com

estimates the price of the taxi.

hopstop.com

is another web program for directions and will give you taxi price right there but you have to add any tolls (possibly $6 from LGA depending on how the driver goes) and a tip of 15-20% for the driver.

There is an express bus service (NYC Airporter or GoAirlink) that goes between the airport and Port Authority, but it's not very dependable and will make a stop at Grand Central first.. If you have lots of time, it's an option that requires no transfers for $12-15/person.

5. Re: Single traveler through NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014