We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food budget

doncaster
Level Contributor
245 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Food budget

How much per day would you recommend for food.

We intend to have 1 sit down breakfast but rest will be on the run (bagel & coffee)

Lunch will be a slice, hot dog or deli

Dinner I have places like bills burger, Brendan's, s'mac, the meatball shop.

We don't drink much so wouldn't be ordering bottles of wine.

Bit stuck on the tax and tips how much I should roughly budget

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food budget

Does your hotel/accom provide breakfast included in the price? Mine did and I was not aware of it until I booked in at reception. It was a nice surprise. Tips are normally between 15-20 of total, depnding on service. There is a separate link for tips

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c71510/New-Yor…

it depends really if you want fine dining or a down to earth place. I bought 2 sandwiches at Lenny's for £16(checked my UK account, paid with natwest bank visa debit) They were massive and we struggled to get through them. We also dined at an italian, that cost us £80 including drinks and another for £50. It depends on what you really want. Its cheaper and only a brief stroll to 10th/9th avenue, then eating closer to Times square.Hope this helps a little

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food budget

It really is individual preference as to how you eat. If the weather is nice, imho, nothing beats a hotdog and a seat on a bench in Central Park. If I've been doing heavy duty walking all morning, then a little sitdown lunch with table service is my preference.

My family either has a big breafast (omelets, toast, etc) and an on-the-fly lunch or vice versa but sometimes we'll have quick on-the-go for both meals. I budget approx $20/person for breakfast AND Lunch plus another $10/person for snacks (I have a teenage son who is ALWAYS hungry -- doesn't like to bypass a cheap slice) . Then dinner is usually a casual sit-down place ... so it's approximatley $25/for each kid and $35 for each adult cuz we like to have a cocktail or wine with our meal.

Tips at a sit-down restaurant with table service are 15-20% of the bill before tax. You are not expected to tip at a place where you walk up to the counter, order and take-away your food. If they have a 'tip cup' you can drop a $1 - $2 or the coins from your change into it if you are so moved!!

When you say "deli" ... if you mean the corner market that sells some food then it's cheap. If you mean a Jewish-style Deli like Katz's or Second Avenue Deli, then it will be more but portions are huge

nyc
Level Contributor
437 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food budget

Given what you said you will be eating, I think you could budget 5 for breakfast, 10 for lunch and 20 for dinner and come out fine. You could definitely do it for less if you chose the least expensive options on the menus.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food budget

buggy07, Where are you staying and how many of you and how long? I pre-ordered one dollar bills from my bank so that I was never without any tiping money

doncaster
Level Contributor
245 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food budget

Staying at the gem in Chelsea, 2 of us for 4 nights 5 days

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food budget

Well, breakfast is sorted. Murray's Bagels is across the road - cheap and filling. :-)

doncaster
Level Contributor
245 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food budget

Yep Murray's is already on this list read its close and good!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food budget

Not that far really from Joe's pizza on Camine St off Bleecker St (that was tasty) hmmmmmm

doncaster
Level Contributor
245 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food budget

Thanks, we are big spider man fans too!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food budget

I would not pre-order money from any overseas bank. The rate of exchange is usually terrible. If you need to tip and do not have change you hand the server a $5 , $ 10 or $20 and ask them to break it and give me_______ whatever denominations you want. They are all more than pleased to do so. You can also just round everything off. If the bill is $ 45.78 and $ 4 of that is tax ( tax would be slightly less in reality) than you are tipping on $41.78. If you want to leave around 18% that means you want to leave about $7.52. Add that to 45.78 and it comes to $53.30. You can leave either $ 53 or $54 or just leave the exact amount on the table. There is no need to separate the bill and the tip.