We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Hello,

I'm travelling to NYC with my boyfriend over Easter and we would like to make a reservation for one of our evening meals. We both love steaks and French food and would be most grateful for any recommendations you might have for a romantic restaurant that might fit the bill. Our budget is about $200 and the location doesn't really matter. Many thanks in advance!

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

I love Smith and Wollensky but not very romantic. Wolfgangs is also a favourite. Peter Luger is another great place. Far too many to choose from.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Most of the steakhouses are not very romantic. The Strip House is perhaps one idea

http://www.striphouse.com/

Marea, an Italian restaurant has wonderful steak but might exceed your budget. Here's a list of some great steaks. Have a look at the restaurants and see what you think. Balthazar is a buzzy French brasserie. It's not what I'd call romantic but a fun place with good food.

…eater.com/archives/2012/01/luger_keens_palm…

Gotham Bar & Grill is very nice in an attractive space and has good steak too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Most of the steakhouses are not very romantic. The Strip House is perhaps one idea

http://www.striphouse.com/

Marea, an Italian restaurant has wonderful steak but might exceed your budget. Here's a list of some great steaks. Have a look at the restaurants and see what you think. Balthazar is a buzzy French brasserie. It's not what I'd call romantic but a fun place with good food.

…eater.com/archives/2012/01/luger_keens_palm…

Gotham Bar & Grill is very nice in an attractive space and has good steak too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Is the River Cafe open yet after Sandy? That is very romantic. It's just over the Brooklyn Bridge with the most amazing views of Manhattan (the best way to see the skyline in all it's glory is not actually from Manhattan but Brooklyn, Queens or NJ). River Cafe is expensive but worth it. Keep checking to see if it's reopened.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Oh and if you do decide on Peter Luger (not sure about the romance bit but is highly rated for the steak) you will need to book a few weeks in advance for dinner (less time for lunch).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

No River Cafe not open. Would have been great.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Pity. It really is spectacular. I hope it opens soon (for my birthday....)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
110 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

I don't think that any of the steak houses I've been to in NYC are romantic, but if you want a good steak dinner in an old-school atmosphere, good service, etc., I'd go to Keen's. Peter Luger in Brooklyn has great steak, but it's very rush-rush, and personally I didn't like the atmosphere.

You might consider Pastis (it has a great steak-frites) for French-American fare and a bistro atmosphere. Not sure if it would be romantic enough, but it has a fun atmosphere and great food. Balthazar is similar, but personally I prefer Pastis for dinner and Balthazar for brunch/lunch.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

I've been to Pastis and IMHO it's just a poshed-up Cafe Rouge. It's a fake French bistro. If you've ever been to Paris then it will be nothing new. Very noisy. Food okay and I agree, not romantic. As I recall, they have TVs everywhere? Ugh. A terrible American habit, all those TVs in restaurants.

You know, most restaurants in NYC will offer steak so I would pick a romantic restaurant and just check the menu to see that they serve steak.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
110 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic steak dinner in Manhattan?

Re: TVs at Pastis, except for maybe 1 at the bar, I don't recall seeing too many of them. Anyway, IMHO, the steak-frites there is pretty good. I think it will be hard for the OP to find a *romantic* steak house.in NYC. I really can't think of any. Where I live in Washington, DC, the atmosphere is different (we have the Prime Rib, Bourbon Steak, and BLT Steak), which are considered by some, as romantic. I think there is a BLT Steak in NYC, but have never been, so I don't know how the atmosphere is.