We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Topic
Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

Hi!

I've been to NYC for a few times now and I'm going again late March. All the times I've been there were with people who used to lived there; so I did see some off-beaten places.

Now I'm going again and looking for some recommendations on things to do, not the regular-tourist stuff (though I haven't been to the empire state building nor the statue of liberty...).

I will be staying in Brooklyn, and the friend I'm staying with will be working so this time I need, and want, to have sime cool interesting things planned to see!

Looking forward reading your advices!

Thanx!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

Hang out on Smith Street(Brooklyn)...explore Brooklyn Heights....walk down Court Street....Have a drink at 4th Avenue Pub or Brooklyn Inn(Bergen Street). Then maybe walk over the bridge into lower Manhattan.

Mentioned in this post
Smith Street
Smith Street
80 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn Heights
Brooklyn Heights
630 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Court Street
Court Street
106 Reviews
Hoboken, NJ
Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

Last year when we visited NYC, we took several tours with Free Tours by Foot. Our tour guides were great, and it was a wonderful way to meet new people and get a real feel for the many neighborhoods in NYC. We toured as a family, but there were several single people on each tour that we took.

Mentioned in this post
Free Tours by Foot
Free Tours by Foot
6,231 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

Where in Brooklyn will you be staying? It is a big borough and there are lots of things to do and explore here. Here are some ideas:

1. Head to Park Slope and visit the Botanic Gardens and the Brooklyn Museum. Then head down the hill for Seventh Ave shopping and Fifth Ave shopping, drinking and dining. Great area just to walk around.

2. Here on a weekend, visit the Brooklyn Flea.

3. Take the subway to Brighton Beach and revel in the largest Russian neighborhood outside of Minsk. Grab a bowl of borscht and verenikis over at Cafe Glechick.

But, there are lots more things to do in the outer boros if you just want to explore. Visit a place like Jackson Heights and head to the Jackson Heights Diner for some great Indian Food. Travel to the Bronx and visit Wave Hill. Feel like a trek - the Tibetan Museum is in Staten Island.

Now that you have done the usual sites, it is time to relax and enjoy the true New York - its neighborhoods.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Park Slope
Park Slope
462 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Museum
Brooklyn Museum
1,335 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
301 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brighton Beach
Brighton Beach
374 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Wave Hill
Wave Hill
255 Reviews
Bronx, NY
4. Re: Another NYC visit, recommendations needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 18, 2014