We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

I have a 17-hour-ish layover in NYC next month. Keeping in mind that I have never been to NYC and am a pretty sheltered (but open-minded) girl from Central Oregon, what area should I stay in for my midnight arrival on a Tuesday and also see a bit of the city the next day? Safety is my priority, but not to the exclusion of all fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

For accommodation, you'll get some good answers if you let the forum-ites know where you are arriving into and leaving from and exactly what times plus a BUDGET....

For what to do...look at MUST DOs (right had side of the Forum)....for a first timer I think the must dos are seeing the Manhattan skyline, going up either the Empire State Building or Top of visiting the Rock and Central Park

But give an idea of what you like doing - that'll help too!

Edited: 1:47 am, March 11, 2013
Level Contributor
114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

Oh, sorry -- I'm arriving at JFK at about midnight and departing JFK the following evening. My budget is $100-$200.

I don't really care about seeing the traditional NYC sights (I'll save those for a longer trip). What I would love to do is stay in a neighborhood where I can do some shopping and eating at vegan- and vegetarian-friendly places. I'd love someplace with character but that's also safe (and a straight shot to JFK on safe transport or via taxi).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

So, we know how much you want to spend, we know where you're arriving, but not when, in terms of the date. The date is so important, because one day, a hotel could be $175 and the next $350.

With your budget, you're probably best just going to somewhere like Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City, as this is normally reasonably priced. It's also easy to get to from the Airport, by jumping on the AirTrain and Subway.

If you increase your budget, you may get a neighbourhood in Manhattan. Stop worrying about safety. NYC is very very safe, and your constant mentions of it isn't needed.

M

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

I feel like with your particular Portlandia-ish desires, you want to be in Williamsburg or the East Village. You'd find those neighborhoods really pleasant. But as Mark says, the date is important.

While the hotels in LIC are excellent quality for price, they are not walking distance to vegan shops. A short bus ride, but not walking distance.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

Look at Fairfield Inns. There's one near Times Square and another that family members have stayed in that's an easy subway shoot into lower Manhattan. I think it's this one:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d1862567…

My brother and sister in law were very comfortable there and the rates were reasonable compared to Manhattan. The Times square location is probably going to be your best for "seeing a little of the city." Here's the Times Square link and we're stayinghere on our trip later this month:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1390172…

I'm not sure how these rates will work for you, but take a look. Fairfield Inns are very reasonably priced hotels that are part of the Marriott family.

When comparing prices, it's not only about room rates. From your airport to your hotel, consider what it might cost to get into the city, and what it might cost to get from where you are staying to where you want to go. In the time you have, however, you're going to want to be in a compact area.

On a budget, I stay at Park Central, and have always had a clean and comfortable room. For quiet, ask for a room at the end of hall away from the elevators. On an overnight, a view shouldn't be a big thing, and I usually ask for one at the back of the hotel where things a less "active." I'm good with it. This is where I often spend a night when I'm traveling through New York from Europe. It's good for an overnight, inexpensive, and is in a very good location. People disagree with me, but I've stayed there at least once or twice a year when I can't stay with my daughter who lives in the city. I've never had issues that others go on about It's a big hotel, I know it, and for a short stay, it works for me:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93520-R…

I would suggest that you take a car into the city and back to the airport. A car service costs about the same as a taxi, and they are much more comfortable. Here are links to services I and my family use::

http://www.carmellimo.com/Rates.shtml

http://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

Edited: 12:47 pm, March 11, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

See, I look at this differently. If I was arriving at midnight, the last thing I'd want to do is travel someplace to stay. I'd just book an (admittedly not fabulous) hotel at JFK that has a shuttle (I'm sure most do), and get a good night's sleep. The next day I'd store my bags with the bell desk, and off I'd go to Manhattan, no bags, no worries. Probably go to the Village or Soho or Chelsea given your age and what you're looking for. Then back to JFK (others can help with the public transportation), pick up my bags at the hotel, and off I go to my next flight.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

That's another good thought, and yes, something I would consider, maybe even checking your bags at the airport before you traveled into the city. Airlines don't generally keep bags overnight, so with your layover, your bags will probably not be booked through to HNL. Before deciding to travel to the airport with your bags in the morning, call the airline and make sure they will let you do this. Sometimes, there are limits on how far in advance a bag can be checked.

And I would also travel suggest lower Manhattan a destination, maybe as crossroads, West Broadway and Spring or Houston and Bowery. If you decide on a city destination, come back for suggestions on what you can do.

Once I'm in the city and for your piece of mind, I use HopStop when I'm trying to get from where I've ended up to where I want to go. As with any GPS, it's not perfect, but it's worked for me. Locals may suggest other routes (if you've used a GPS in your hometown, you know what I mean), but in the city, HopStop always gets me where I'm going:

http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork

Download it onto your cellphone. It will identify where you are and how to get to a destination. It makes the city not so intimidating and eliminates the "what next?" factor.

When is your departure flight? From the city, you have to be careful about taxi shift changes when rides can be difficult. The experts will be able to help you with what you can expect. Meanwhile, here is a link that will help you understand how taxis work in the city and what the different lights mean:

www.nycitycab.com/NYC%20Taxi%20Guide.aspx

This takes a lot of mystery out of how NYC caps work.

I hope we're starting to make you feel more comfortable! NYC is not that intimidating, and you've been right to come on to TA for help.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

Heading into a Manhattan hotel is your best bet. I would completely disagree with the advise to stay at an airport hotel. With so little time, you'll want to wake up and step out of your hotel into the excitement. You may even be able to step out for a friendly cocktail or two, late night snack and a bit of exploration on the night you arrive (especially if it's a weekend)

Your exact dates are crucial. There are many dates where your budget will not be sufficient for a Manhattan hotel with a private bath. For other dates, you may be able to find something. The forum can help.

If you can possibly pay more, adjust your budget and say "my absolute max is ___, but I'd really like to pay less". If a shared bath is ok in a pinch, indicate that as well. Keep in mind that you'll pay ~15% tax above the nightly hotel rate.

Edited: 2:33 pm, March 11, 2013
9. Re: Country bumpkin with a 17-hour layover in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 13, 2014