We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from LES to LaGuardia

New York
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from LES to LaGuardia

I have experience with JFK but none with LaGuardia. I have a couple of questions.

1. I want to be at LGA by 6:45 pm this Thursday. (My flight's at 7:55.) If I'm coming from the Lower East Side, at what time should I start driving over?

I've seen the drive listed as 20 minutes, but I'm assuming that's not taking traffic into account. What's a realistic estimate for how long it takes on a weeknight during rush hour?

2. I'm considering using Dial 7. They're quoting me $44. Would a taxi be cheaper? I'm seeing a wide range of taxi fares listed during a google search for that trip, so I don't know what to believe.

And then because I'm salivating and fantasizing already, what's your favorite bagel and cream cheese combination and where do you get it?

Edited: 12:28 pm, March 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Lower East Side
Lower East Side
138 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from LES to LaGuardia

Hey snickus:-) Coming from the LES during rush hour, I'd personally opt for a car service where you'll be given a flat rate.. as oppossed to a cab which will be on meter;-) SInce it will be rush hour, it will all depend on traffic on that particular day..if you need to be there at 6:45p, I'd be in a car by 6p latest.. maybe even a bit earlier just to be on the safe side;-) Of course, it may not take that long.. I've gotten to JFK from the UWS in half an hour.. just saying to give it an hour door to door doesn't hurt heading out at a peak time around 5:45p or so!

As far as a great bagel, don't think you'll find better anywhere in the City, IMO, than Absolute Bagels! Take the #1 subway up to 110th Street/Cathedral Parkway.. and walk down a couple of blocks.. between 107-108th Streets.. and enJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from LES to LaGuardia

IMHO~ I would leave 5:30~5:45 pm, better safe than sorry, who knows what the traffic can or will be like on the FDR drive/East Side. At $44.00 for Dial 7,(which is a very good, fair price!) if you tell the driver to take the Queensbourgh/59th street Bridge,AKA Ed Koch Bridge, you will not have any tolls, so your fare will be $44.00 & Tip!

New York
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from LES to LaGuardia

Thanks for helping me out! I booked.

And Litsa...You may have me breaking my word! You see, I'm only going to be in NYC for 2.5 days. So to maximize my time, I promised to confine myself to neighborhoods close to my hotel. But I've never had Absolute Bagels and they sound freakin' delicious over at Yelp. I think I'll make the UWS my base during my next trip. A big reason I chose my hotel for this trip is because it's right by Russ & Daughters. I like bagels a little bit.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from LES to LaGuardia

You're welcome snickus:-) Well, LES is not that far from UWS;-o) Have fun.. keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 11:25 am, March 11, 2013
5. Re: Getting from LES to LaGuardia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 13, 2014