We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

Hi

We are a family of 7 travelling to NYC. We will be driving, so we have a minivan. We have 5 teens with us. We will be staying in Paramus NJ because we needed more room and because of the savings. I need help planning the days events. I'm not sure about distance and time needed. We will be able to spend 3 full days in NYC - Monday thru Wednesday. I have already booked a Yankees game for Wed night. Some of the sights we want to see are:

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island - I heard they are still closed:(

In place I want to take the Staten Island Ferry for a closer look

Tenement Museum

Central Park

Times Square

Ground Zero/ World trade Center/911 Memorial

St. Paul, St, John, or St. Patrick Cathedrals

Free tour by foot: Either a Lower Manhattan 10am -12 tour,

Mid Manhattan 10am -12 tour or an All in One all day tour. Maybe even two of these if needed.

I am open to any and all suggestions. The kids just want to get a sense of NYC

THANK YOU!

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

Paramus is not convenient to NYC... Will you be driving in every day? The traffic in Paramus is also a nightmare as there are so many places to shop.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

Welcome to the forum. Are you planning on using public transit to get to New York every day? What about for getting around in New York?

The three churches (only two are cathedrals, St. Paul's is a chapel) are completely different and not at all interchangeable.

The general method for grouping days is to plot your sites on a map and group geographically. Maps.google.com is good as an online mapping site.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

if you go to ground zero make sure you reserve your tickets online... you can make a donation if you choose....

st patricks cathedral is amazing !! top of the rock is great at nite !!

you can do the City Sights bus tour hop on and off all day long which is a great way to see the city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,480 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

I'm not going to deal with your hotel accommodation other than to say Paramus is a heck of a trek from NYC and there are closer options that will make your lives a lot easier. If your reservation is cancelable, post back with exact dates and budget (perhaps on a new thread).

To answer your questions in order:

the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are indeed closed since the hurricane with no reopening date in sight. The Staten Island ferry provides DISTANT views which, imo, are only good for photo ops with a telephoto lens. If you've made the trip from Chicago for the kids to see the Statue, taking a paid cruise of some sort will get you much closer to really appreciate the grandeur of the statue.

goldstar.com

often has discounts for different cruises. Some of the cos. that do them

statuecruises.com

nywatertaxi.com

circleline.com

nywaterway.com

sail-ny.com

shearwatersailing.com

I recommend you perhaps spend one day or part of a day doing an overview tour with one of these cos.

onboardtours.com

Grayline hop on/off

freetoursbyfoot.com

realnewyorktours.com

You might also consider signing up for a

bigapplegreeter.org

for a free tour by a local.

The way you spend the rest of the time will really depend on whether you decide to take an overview tour or not. But spending one day in lower Manhattan and another day in midtown/Central Park would make sense. Don't miss Greenwich Village, whatever you decide. This is an area most tourists like the best; it's got a different look and feel to the rest of Manhattan and is where NYU is located if any of the teens has interest in coming to college here.

I strongly recommend you see at least one live performance...whether that's a comedy club like National Comedy theater or a Broadway or off Broadway show or some live music.

cafewha.com

can be fun. Perhaps not all the kids have the same taste and you could split up and see 2 different things.

broadwaybox.com

in the left column has discounts to many shows. What's even cheaper is the teens can join

highfivetix.com

and get heavily discounted tickets to a lot of different things and they can also buy discounted tix for the adults.

walkingoffthebigapple.com

is a website I like with self guided walking tours of different areas. I urge you to get the kids involved in the planning so they take some ownership of what you see/do and don't whine. You need REALLY comfortable shoes as you'll do more walking than you've ever done in your life.

maps.google.com

is really easy to use and a BIG help with seeing what's where, getting directions for subway/bus etc. Just type the trip at the top, click the train icon and you'll get various subway direction options.

Finally, if the kids have particular interests, if you tell us what they are, we may be able to provide ideas for more specific venues for YOUR family. I urge you to consider splitting up for part of the time. There's no reason everyone has to do the same things and you will have more to talk about at the end of the days.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

highly recommend st pauls chapel

Level Contributor
2,837 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

Thanks for the link to highfivetix.com I have signed the teen up and it looks like they have some nice discounts.

7. Re: 3 Family Vacation Days in NYC- itenerary help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 11, 2014