We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

38th street area

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
38th street area

I need to know if it is safe as far as traffic to walk along 38th between 9th and 10th avenue. On google, there is a spaghetti looking mass of streets. Is this a really busy area? Should I avoid this street and walk up another? Thanks. I know it is a strange question on this forum but where else can I find this info.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 38th street area

It is a perfectly pleasant residential street.

You can comfortably and pleasantly walk along the south side of the street (the right side as you walk from 10th to 9th).

The spaghetti mess that you are looking at on the map is on the north side and it is actually at a different grade level. If you walk on the north side, you're basically walking along side a brick wall.

There is a fire department station along the street.

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 38th street area

Pleasant? It's an entrance/exit to the Lincoln Tunnel with some buses parked for Port Authority. It's hardly what I'd call pleasant or residential. Have a look atbthe street view on google maps. It is probably perfectly safe but WH Ywill you be walking there?? I don'tthink there ae any hotels there.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 38th street area

There is suppose to be an apartment there that I am considering. I know it is frowned upon to rent an apartment in NYC but I am going to be there for 2 weeks with 4 teenagers and am looking for an option other than a hotel. I wouldn't dare ask for a recommendation here for some place to stay other than a hotel. I've been reading tripadvisor for years and have learned a lot! I get lots of good info and I understand that short term rental is risky/illegal but I don't have very good options for what I need (kitchen, washer/dryer in building or near by) and affordable housing for 2 weeks for family of 5-6.

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 38th street area

As long as it would be good for you, that's all that matters. Don't worry about little things like the legality.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 38th street area

WOW momhobiecat - you are just asking for trouble, aren't you? I'm speechless.

If this is a vacation I would look for another destination and save your money for when you can actually afford to stay in legal hotel.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 38th street area

You're going to find yourself struggling for affordable options even more if you turn up and a) the apartment doesn't exist or b) it's in such a disgusting state/nothing like described so you need to find something else at the last minute.

Why would you even risk that happening with a family?!

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 38th street area

Well I haven't booked anything yet. I am looking at staying at the skyline hotel or hilton garden inn. Does anyone have any ideas for a place to stay that has 2 bedrooms and sleeps 6 with a refrigerator and microwave? None of the hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. I am the only adult with 5 children and teenagers. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last year and it was nice but the refrigerator doesn't stay cold enough to keep milk for 2 days. Any other ideas? I need midtown west location. Budget would be $450/night ish.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 38th street area

Well I haven't booked anything yet. I am looking at staying at the skyline hotel or hilton garden inn. Does anyone have any ideas for a place to stay that has 2 bedrooms and sleeps 6 with a refrigerator and microwave? None of the hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. I am the only adult with 5 children and teenagers. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last year and it was nice but the refrigerator doesn't stay cold enough to keep milk for 2 days. Any other ideas? I need midtown west location. Budget would be $450/night ish. And I won't book the apartment on 38th. I'll stick with a legal hotel.

Edited: 8:15 pm, March 07, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 38th street area

Not sure why you need a midtown west location. I like the Upper West Side - easy access to the park and subways to every where. Plus a really great neighborhood. Have you checked out The Beacon?

Edited: 8:16 pm, March 07, 2013
Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 38th street area

My kids are doing a theater project at 52nd and 10th avenue. I will look at upper west side. I loved that area when my son took tennis last year at Riverside park while others were doing theater. It was beautiful and easy subway ride.