We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roof top bars terraces

Jersey, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Roof top bars terraces

Hi can anyone recommend any great roof top bars/terraces in NYC that tourists can go? I am visiting NY for the first time in May and have 'googled' this and most of the bars you can go to you have to be either a guest of the hotels or be invited! Any suggestions?

Also if anyone has any hot tips on different things to do in NY apart from the usual touristy things please let me know..

Thank you!

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Roof top bars terraces

230 5th Ave is one of my favourites. There are quite a few, including hotels, Metro, Affinia Shelburne etc. Time of year matters, as some are seasonal.

Also because they are dotted around and in different locations, they offer alternative views and angles.

Edited: 3:57 am, March 06, 2013
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roof top bars terraces

See my thread - I asked the same!

http://bit.ly/WK0tm9

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,707 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roof top bars terraces

I don't know where you got the info about being. Gurst of the hotel to gain entry, but its just not true. Yes, there are exclusive places like the Gramercy Park Hotel or the Boom Boom room at the Standard, but most of the hotel rooftop bars are open to the public.

http://nymag.com/nightlife/barbuzz/11025/

Jersey, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roof top bars terraces

That's great thank you very much everyone for you advice. It's appreciated! So looking forward to my trip. I love America and can't wait to go! :)

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roof top bars terraces

can anyone suggest a not too expensive and not so formal rooftop bar?

Most rooftop bars seem to be pretty chic, is there a dress code? Can i walk in with a nice skirt and plain sandals underneath or do i need to dress up? I don't usually take fancy clothes with me on holiday

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Roof top bars terraces

From personal experience dress code is varied, it's very much a case of what you are comfortable with.....no matter how you dress there always seems to be alternatives. As for prices, it is difficult to define, you are in NYC you pay "city prices".

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,707 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roof top bars terraces

If you look through the link I provided above from last year's NY Magazine it gives an idea of dress codes hours etc. Some of the the rooftops are most popular right after work while others get busy later at night. If you don't want to get dressed up and have a scene, go at an off hour for that venue (but make sure it's open).

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roof top bars terraces

Some good suggestions on this same topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6183501…

9. Re: Roof top bars terraces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, May 10, 2013
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roof top bars terraces

Liza S, I clicked on your link and tried several times without success. I entered different search terms, but nothing came up for terrace or rooftop restaurants. Then when I clicked on "Sort", my computer gave a lengthy WARNING (which rarely happens because of the way I have my internet settings). Instead of a link to the general website, will you provide a link to a specific page for New York City terrace/rooftop restaurants?