We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coney Island

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Coney Island

Hi,

I wanted to know what Coney Island is like these days? I have seem a few mixed reviews about this, some are bad and others are pretty good. Has Coney Island had it's day and is it a waste of time going along? Also i have heard that it got damaged from hurricane Sandy?

I'm visiting New York in August, I know it's like a while on the train but don't mind if its worth the visit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coney Island

Everyone has a different opinion of Coney Island and I suppose it depends on what you're going to see. The beach is still there. I'm not sure about the rides and the boardwalk since both sustained MAJOR damage in the storm. Perhaps someone who's been out there recently can say.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coney Island

Keep in mind Coney Island in August, will be different than the Coney Island of Today, with ongoing repairs, etc......Hopefully, by then it will be in much better shape and worth a visit/train ride!

http://www.coneyisland.com/

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coney Island

Yeah I am hoping by then it's all back to how it was but never really know how long things will take!

Do you know if its safe on the night time or best during the day? A do like to see amusement parks at night with all the lights and I know during the day it will be awfully hot in the summer!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coney Island

Luna Park is reopening in couple weeks - http://www.lunaparknyc.com/

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coney Island

Great view at night would be from the Wonder Wheel.

It;s a ferris wheel.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coney Island

The thing to do is go in the day and stay through to sundown and around 8pm. In August, its high season and there's always a ton to do and any hurricane damage will be resolved by then. In the day, you can go to the beach or aquarium, visit the Coney Island Museum or Coney Island History Project. Day or night till at least 10pm, you can ride rides like the Cyclone or Wonder Wheel, eat Nathan's Hot Dogs and even catch a Brooklyn Cyclones Baseball Game.

Sundays are the most busy, so generally speaking Saturdays the ride likes will be a little shorter. Friday evenings between Memorial day and Labor Day there is a fireworks show over the beach at 9pm unless it rains. C'mon out!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coney Island

Coney Island is still one of my favorite spots and make sure you get a hot dog at Nathan's.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,939 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coney Island

You can see minor league baseball if you'd like. The Brooklyn Cyclones play in Coney Island.

http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coney Island

Ohh cool, this sounds really good :-) ..definalty making me want to go even more now!!

I love amusement parks down by the beach also and I have never seen a baseball game, always wanted to see one like that (think its from seeing them on films lol)

Looking forward to it now, going to add it to my list of many things to do when I come out to New York!! :-)

Many thanks for everyones input, greatly appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coney Island

Here is the latest on Coney Island.

Food - Nathans is still closed due to being slammed by Sandy. They are right on the water. They are renovating and hope to be open by Spring. Totonno's pizza I believe has just reopened. Cafe Glechik [alright that is in Brighton Beach, but pretty nearby] is still serving delicious borscht.

Attractions - The Aquarium just had a partial reopening. There is more work to be done. The Cyclone seems not to have taken much damage and should reopen on schedule. The Brooklyn Cyclones A ball team will have a regular schedule. The Boardwalk is fine and the beach is OK as well.

Hope this helps