We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

Hi All, I am planning to trip New York by drive from Toronto some time 3rd week of Apr 13. Can you please advise how will be the weather & how would I plan?, like, is it advisable to park the car in the hotel & book a tour once reach New york?, which are all the places to visit?, we are travelling 4 adults & a 3yr kid. I can stay 2-3 days in New york then I need to head to Detroite.

Where can we stay & roam around the city?

Any advise is much appreciated.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

We discussed this in December. There is not much new to report since we discussed this in December.

tripadvisor.com/…45765480

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

I'll give a short answer anyway:

If you want to, you can certainly park your car at your hotel. Many people do, which is why it costs about $40 per day.

Most people book tours at the spur of the moment, and so can you.

There are too many places in NYC to mention all the ones to visit. Get a guide book from the public library.

New York is similar to Toronto, but you need to multiply the number of things to do and people on the streets by 7, and the price of hotels and parking by 1.5, and the number of Subway lines by about 10

And the weather in NYC in April is about 3 to 5 degrees C warmer than TO.

Edited: 11:40 am, March 04, 2013
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

And I hope you realize that to go from Toronto to NYC is 450 miles east, and then to get to Detroit you have to go west back across Pennsylvania to almost where you started to then go a few hundred miles more to get to Detroit. It is not a short trip; you will spend more time driving from TO->NYC->D->TO than you will in NYC itself. If drawn on a map, it would look like a huge flattened triangle.

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

Hi, yes, I was that. I thought that works out cheaper & convenient, rather going by bus/train. I want to take Newyork & around Washington sight seeings. I have 3 days to cover NY & Washington. Those 3 days I would like to take tour packages to avoid driving.

Please share if you have any thoughts on it.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

You can fly out of Buffalo with Jet Blue for $79.00/person one way.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

Washington is 230 miles south of New York. You cannot see both cities in 3 days. You might as well take out a travelogue DVD from the library. And then to go to Detroit? I don't think you are thinking this through clearly.

Either make it a week or 10-day vacation to the US Eastern Seaboard or go to Detroit, NOT BOTH!

You can see some of NYC in 3 days, or some of Washington in 3 days, but even that is not enough especially if you are driving the 500 miles to either place. But to do both? Possible to do but impossible to enjoy; a waste of time and money, sorry to say.

And please reread your comments before submitting them. If words are missing or the wrong word it typed in, it is very hard to know what you are talking about. "Hi, yes, I was that" is meaningless to me.

7. Re: Planning to trip New york from Toronto_need info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 06, 2014