We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway Tickets

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway Tickets

We are heading to New York at the end of the month -staying in Manhattan over Easter. We would like to take in a show ideally Jersey Boys or Wicked. I checked a few discount sites and we they are all working out at around $320 for 2 of us for Easter Saturday night. I haven't used the Tkts booths before. Just wondering would we be advised to wait and take our chances when we arrive??? We would be happy with any show if JB or Wicked weren't available. I know it's a leading question but do many tickets come back and are the queues long??? Any advice would be appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway Tickets

You didn't check discount sites, you checked broker sites, which charge MORE, not less. Wicked is never discounted, so see what full price tickets cost at the official website and decide if you want to buy them. For Jersey Boys, look at the LEFT HAND SIDE of www.broadwaybox.com and see if they have a discount.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,110 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway Tickets

Wicked will definitely NOT be available. Jersey Boys is sometimes there, but a holiday weekend through all bets out the window. It also means that what is available may be pretty slim pickings. I would buy something in advance.

What do you mean by do many tickets come back?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway Tickets

Maybe I'm getting it wrong. Friends of ours recently got tickets that they told us 'came back unsold' on the day and they got a 50% discount. Maybe it was tickets returned to the theatre. Thank you both for your help. I think to be on the safe side we'll buy them before we go. I have been looking at Broadway Box, Theatre Mania and Ticketmaster. No joy with discounts on Broadway Box.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway Tickets

Not every link at Broadway Box is a discount link. Everything not on the left is a broker link. Be aware that discounts often roll over, so if the current discount expires before you arrive, there's a good chance it will be extended. Then again, Saturday night of a holiday weekend is a time of fewer discounts in general.

Your friends bought tickets at the TKTS booth. Lines can be long unless you go to the Brooklyn booth (or the Seaport booth, when it reopens), and you never know what will be left when you get to the front. I don't spend vacation time in line, so that wouldn't be my preference.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway Tickets

Info about the TKTS booths

tdf.org/tkts

Sat. night of a holiday weekend is NOT the time to expect to see one of the top shows at a discount unless you really don't care where you sit or how long you stand in line. I'd buy discount tickets from a link on the left of broadwaybox or playbill (if you can find them....many shows don't discount Sat. night performances ever) before I would expect to get something from the TKTS booth for that night. Assuming you're arriving a few days before you want to go to the theater, you can also print off the discount and bring it directly to the box office and get the tickets that way. .....but again, for a Sat. night on a holiday, that may be rough.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway Tickets

I can get tickets for both Chicago and Rock of Ages on Broadway Box - for Sat and Sun night for much the same price as one night for Jersey Boys. They're in the rear mezz - but being the weekend that's in it I'm happy with that. We only have 4 days in NY so we dont want to spend out time queuing. The more we can do in advance the better. Thanks so much guys.

7. Re: Broadway Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014