We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Woolworth Building @ 100

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Topic
The Woolworth Building @ 100

Given that the unique Woolworth Building is unfortunately not open to the public,I thought this new exhibition that celebrates the centenary of the building might be interesting to some of you.

It's on at the Skyscraper Museum from Feb 27 to Jul 14.

Here's the website: http://tinyurl.com/atc2ulj and here's a review: http://tinyurl.com/ar9pu6g

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

That looks like a great exhibition only sorry I won't see it. If I do come to NY this year it will most likely be the day after it closes! Ah well

I hope someone goes and reports back here.

Thanks for the link Mez PS it's been good to see you on the London forum recently too. I was on there organising a trip I took last month :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

I always find the good stuff but I am never rarely around to see it in real life - LOL.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

Mez~ Great Link.... Thanx for posting!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

Thanks Mez - I may have a chance to go after a tour on Sunday. Then I'll post some vintage postcards of the building

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
859 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

Thanks Mez for posting this information.

This afternoon I went to the Skyscraper Museum to see the Woolworth Building exhibit.

I won’t say that I was disappointed, but I expected more. I thought there would be more large photographs, like the beautiful nighttime photo of the Woolworth Building taken April 24, 1913. (This is the photo used on the Museum’s brochure, The Woolworth Building @ 100.) And yes, I know the Skyscraper Museum is very small, with a limited amount of space.

If you are interested in the Woolworth Building, you’ll want to see this exhibit.

Edited: 10:13 pm, March 02, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

This is one of my favorite buildings in the City - and it is a crime that it is now "off limits " to visitors. The lobby is the nicest in NYC and displays craftsmanship that is superb. The Ceiling is a true work of art.

There is a large sign in front saying "NO TOURISTS BEYOND THIS POINT" Ignore the sign and walk in and look around - especially up. You will have about a minute before being booted by the normally polite guard. It is worth being evicted for even a brief glimpse of the majesty of this building. Besides FW would have wanted it that way.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
1,775 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

The building is worth seeing from the outside although overshadowed by the Chrysler building and ESB.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
965 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

Lobby tours April 23-25. $30. Looks like there's only availability for the 23rd?

woolworth100.com/products-page/…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

Additional tours now available on Monday, April 22nd

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Woolworth Building @ 100

The lobby of this building should be open for all to view. It is disgraceful that they now have it deemed off limits for "security reasons", but are apparently not so security conscious as to raise a buck or thirty. For years the lobby was open for all to revel in.

Color me disgusted.