We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shout out to all New Yorkers

Atlanta
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shout out to all New Yorkers

I recently returned from a 3 day weekend in NYC. I have been going on and on, to everyone who asks me about the trip, about how friendly the people were. And I mean everyone. The cab drivers, policemen, MTA employees, street vendors, everyday people on the subway, EVERYONE.

We'd ask for help with subway directions and always got it from whomever we asked. Sometimes we didn't even have to ask. People would just see the confused look on my face and ask me if they could help. One couple said they were going halfway to where I needed to be so they accompanied us on the subway to Union Sq and then pointed us to the train we needed before going on their way. And during the subway ride I shared with them they gave me advice on the best way to go about some of the things I was trying to see.

After a stutue cruise there was a street vendor trying to sell more statue cruises. I told him we just got off of one and let him know we were walking a certain way to get to Chinatown. He said, "Why are you doing that? Just go in that station right there and take that train." That guy saved me a ton of time.

Some bellhop guy at the bottom of TOTR spent a good 5 minutes joking with my daughter and finding out what she liked and giving advice on things to do.

On the morning we were leaving, our subway card wouldn't work for some reason. I walked up to the guy in the glass room and politely said "sir, I'm not sure what's going on. I have about $10 on here but it won't go through." He loaded $10 on a new one and handed it to me and said "have a nice day." I said "wow, it's that easy?" He said, "no, not normally." Not sure what that meant but I appreciated him helping us out.

I accidentally left my backpack after running it through security at TOTR. It had only been a few minutes but I was walking back and before I could take 5 steps an officer walked up to me and handed it to me.

We took two taxi rides. They both drove like a bat out of hell to get us to our destination quickly and at a fair price and were friendly doing it.

Subway drivers stick their heads out to make sure no one's blocking the doors and every time I'd ask them something, they'd take the time to point in the right direction and get me to the right platform.

The rangers we encountered at Central Park and High Line both went over and above my expectations to answer our questions and keep us in the right direction.

Just a great experience. I live in the south and we have nothing on you guys for hospitality. My only two negative experiences were some French chick at that French chocolate shop at one of the entrances to TOTR. And a waitress at another place we went that I won't mention here.

Anyway, no questions in this thread. Just a shout out. Thank you to the entire city for helping make my trip with my 10 year old daughter a 100% success.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

Wish TA had a "like" button. Great report!

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

We've never encountered problems in NYC in about a month's worth of stays. When our car battery died as we were packing up to leave during our Christmas trip recently, the hotel staff worked with us and AAA to get the car moved to the curb in front of the lobby and keep the mechanic informed as to where to go. When the mechanic fixed our car, he insisted that we follow him just down the street to the shop so he could double-check everything and make sure that we'd be able to get home safely.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

You have seen a great side of NYC, and not something most people expect. I remember 9/11 and aftermath - everyone really just plunged in and helped everyone. There was a great spirit here. I remember saying that when 9/11 occurred. I counted on "NYers" to be open, helpful and also competent, professional, etc. And it almost always is!

Thanks for shout out!

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

I have to say in all honesty the people here in my small town in Michigan are by far ruder than any person we encountered in New York City !! As you mentioned everyone-including cab drivers were friendly, polite and above all helpful. We LOVE New York !!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

So nice to hear. ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

"like"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

Yep that was our experience too...thanks for writing it. The politeness and genuine kindness was memorable.

I've had some very average experiences of 'service' in Melbourne in the past week...and I just bite my lip and not say 'could you please stop being so blase and get your act together and care about your job and your customers'

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

Actually brought tears to my eyes of how much you loved our city... I'm a big mush like that... Glad you had a wonderful time!

9. Re: Shout out to all New Yorkers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 03, 2014