We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Hi, we are family of 4 from Sydney, Australia and we will be in New York for our holiday. We would appreciate if someone can give us directions from JFK International airport to Times square, New York near Port Authority Bus Terminal (which is across our hotel) either to take a cab, bus or train . Thanks so much

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,508 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

For a cab, you just get in the cab line. The fixed cost is $52.50 plus tolls and tip.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Four people squeezed into a taxi sounds uncomfortable to me.

The JFK AirTrain connects the terminals with the regional rail network at Jamaica. The fastest way into Manhattan is JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road (via Jamaica). This brings you into Penn Station - a short walk or 5 minute taxi ride to your hotel.

Alternatively, you can also simply get the subway - the E train at Jamaica connects the JFK AirTrain (Jamaica) with Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Taxi is $52.00 plus toll and tip (and $0.50 surcharge)

Do *not* accept rides from the touts at the airport asking if you need a ride, need a taxi or are going into Manhattan. Simply ignore them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Thank you so much for this advice. I will surely take note of this.

It's good receiving detailed feedbacks.

Thanks again.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

If you decide the subway method, it will take you an hour/maybe just over an hour travel time. It will be the cheapest of the 3 options.

Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

We flew from Sydney to New York last week and are staying on 39th, one block from Port Authority Bus Station.

Because our flight arrived late afternoon and our luggage was manageable, we opted to avoid peak hour road traffic and took the air train from JFK terminal to Jamaica station (about $5.00 each), then Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to Penn Station (about 30 minutes, $11.00 each), then a cab for the few blocks to our hotel ($8 including tip). We found elevators at JFK and Jamaica, but at Penn Station we missed the escalators/elevators and used a staircase to access 8th Ave taxi rank. 8th Ave travels in the direction of Bus Station and our hotel.

The subway (E train) from Jamaica to Port Authority costs about $2.50 but takes longer than LIRR. You can check timetables, appropriate to your arrival time, for all three on internet. The total travel time will depend on how good the connections are.

There were few vacant seats in our carriage on LIRR and not much room for luggage near the seats so we stood with our luggage in the lobby, good to stretch after long flight. I was surprised so many people were travelling into town on a mid-week evening, maybe there was a sporting event, maybe we picked a bad carriage. There is more room for luggage on the subway trains, but fewer seats.

No idea what the taxi fare will be, when you add on tolls, tip (at least 15% plus $1 a bag), surcharges for peak hour/night travel, and possibly tax. A New York expert will probably chime in. However with four of you it may be a reasonable alternative and more convenient. I have seen recommendations for Dial 7, a car hire service, also can be viewed on the internet.

We’re loving New York, despite the chilly weather. It’s been easy to get around by bus (map from Tourist Information at Grand Central) and (map from Port Authority station) and a weekly pass ($29.50) covering both bus and subway. Average two trips on bus/subway each day and the pass pays for itself. Three trips and you’re ahead.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Wow, thank you so much for this very detailed suggestions. Much appreciated. Enjoy your holiday!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Was the Long Island Rail Road fare so high because you purchased the ticket on board the train with cash?

You can simply purchase a combined JFK AirTrain / LIRR ticket and it would have been much cheaper than paying cash on board. There isn't any discount for purchasing the two tickets as a combo. - it is just that you are not paying the on board surcharge.

You used to have to buy the JFK AirTrain ticket from one machine and the LIRR ticket from another but now there is one machine that sells combined tickets.

On weekends, "CityTicket" is going up to $4.00. The weekday off peak fares is going up from $6.25 to something like $6.75 or $7.00. Peak fare - for trains arriving in New York Penn between 5:00AM and 10:00AM is going up from $8.75 to probably around $9.50.

The train trip should take 18 - 22 minutes between Jamaica and New York Penn.

I had to go to funeral on Long Island on a weekday at mid-day recently and I thought exactly the same thing, "where are all these people going in the middle of the day" There are 8.5 million people in NYC and probably somewhere in the ballpark of 1.5 - 3 million people on Long Island (I don't know the exact numbers). A lot of people in NYC don't own cars and a lot of people on Long Island would not want to pay for parking in Manhattan so I guess that is why the trains are busy. People work on Long Island - live in Manhattan. People come in for shopping - maybe they work off-hours. The trains are never overly crowded but that is why you find an 8 or 10 car train that's pretty full at 3:00PM I guess.

Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

I may have overestimated the fares, perhaps it was $11.?? for the combined airtrain/LIRR fare. There were very welcoming staff at Jamaica station who helped my husband buy the combined fare tickets from the machine and directed us to the correct platform for LIRR to Penn station. It was easy and good value for two with light bags. It may not be so good in value for four or so easy with heavy bags.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

Yes, I just realized it might be too much for us to take the train because there are four of us (with 4 luggages) and New York is our last stop before going back to Sydney so we may have to consider the cab. If it's fixed price at $52 (++), then it is a good price for us 4.

Nevertheless thank you all for your comments/advices. Much appreciated.

Hamlet, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK airport to Port Authority Bus terminal, Times Square

I will be at JFK E.T.A. 11.14am 5th December, 2013. Departing Flight QANTAS 6.30pm, probably need to be at JFK abount 3.30pm. Do I have enough time for a trip into Manhatten? What would be the quicket way to go?