We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

madrid
2 posts
Save Topic
I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

Hi!!!!

My name is mathilde, I am 31. I am french and I am living for the moment in Spain (in Madrid). We will go with my spanish boyfriend for 3 months in NYC. We have savings and we have decided to live this great experience for us. My boyfriend will work for his spanish company as freelance from home (He works in development planning) and I will work with a NYC NGO and as freelance to evaluate cooperation projects.

We are looking for a flat from 15th of march until 7th of june (flexible dates). We have a budget of us1500-1800 all charges included (with internet). We are looking in West harlem and williamsburg- bushwick.

Please if you know about a flat let me know!!

Thank you and have a nice day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

Is the 1500-1800 per month I assume?

It seems low to me as a budget plus the difficulty of finding a LEGAL sublet for only 3 months

madrid
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

Yes it is per month. We could pay until 2000 but not more. We have found some fro this price but we arrive too late! So I think it is possible (because we don´t looked for soho or Nolita!)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

beware of scams

how do you intend to check that they exists or are legally subletted from Madrid? Thats an issue I think

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

Unfortunately, you have three strikes against you. a) You're looking for a short term furnished rental for weird imminent dates, b) from abroad, with c) a budget that is comically low. With enough money, you could overcome the first two, but you're looking for prices that are really too low for unfurnished rentals without utilities included, let alone furnished ones. Unless you can afford to live in New York City, this isn't a good plan, and based on your budget I don't think you have a good sense of how much real estate costs here.

Hopefully you haven't booked your plane tickets yet.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,110 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

In addition to having unrealistic ideas about where to live, I am curious as to how you plan on working in the US. Okay, your boyfriend is working for his Spanish company--BUT you are working for a NYC, NGO??? That is against what a tourist VISA allows and if caught the NGO will have huge problems and you will be banned from the US for no less than 10 years. I am unsure why you think it is acceptable to flaunt US law.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

I decided to assume they had working visas. I wasn't going to get into that, given the visa is the least of the problems with this plan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

The budget alone will kill this plan but the VISA issue will stop it before it even starts I would think.

Someone might be able to live in, say Pennsylvania or upstate NY for that budget but no where legal in NYC will be available for that amount of money.

Let's just say you sort out the issue of the visa, consider that to legally sublet an apartment, one MUST go through the landlord of the person who is subletting it out; you must supply financial records of all kinds, references, etc - and then it is solely up to the landlord (not the person who is trying to rent it to you) to decide whether to accept the sublet or not. That is how it is legally done.

If it is a co-op or condo, those buildings will have their own set of rules about how to proceed with a legal sublet.

But - again, your budget is absurdly low so I don't think it will be much of an issue in the first place.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

He's just freelancing for his current Spanish company, and he's Spanish. I don't think that is a work visa issue, though it would be clearer if he were employed by them rather than freelancing.

You may need to think about staying for a shorter time period. Your budget is really not at all sufficient for the number of months you intend to stay.

Another option to investigate is to join a roommate situation. Someone who has an apartment with an extra bedroom room who usually has a roommate, or someone who often tries to rent the room out to travelers on a site such as AirBnB. The latter might be a better choice as someone who usually has a roommate will want to look for a longer term tenant.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

The boyfriend isn't the visa issue, it's her: "I will work with a NYC NGO and as freelance to evaluate cooperation projects."

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I want to sublet a furnished flat : 03/15 - 06/07

Try the Hotel Vetiver in Long Island City

http://hotelvetiver.com/extended-stays/

Oakwood.com

Does monthly rentals but will likely be way over your budget.