We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British airways or virgin Atlantic?

London
Level Contributor
174 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
British airways or virgin Atlantic?

Heyyyy! Planning a trip to New York in December, and just curious which airline you prefer as I've have flown neither before. We will be flying economy and was wondering if either of these airlines offer seat plan where's there's just 2 seats together instead of 3? I really don't like sitting next to people I don't know on long flights, as I feel like I'm always disturbing them when getting up etc.

Any help would be lovely!

Thanks

L xo

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

If you want to pre-book and pay for the privilege then there are seats right at the rear of economy with BA. Have you looked at Seatguru?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I'd have the price and flying times decide for me and the I'd choose an aisle seat ^_^

Edited: 6:28 pm, February 22, 2013
Bideford
Level Contributor
273 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I've flown BA 4 or 5 times and Virgin maybe 30 so I'd choose Virgin, though they are both good. Personally I wouldn't sit at the back of a plane to the US as it could take ages to get off and you could be in Customs queue for a long time. Happened to me once in Vegas when we got last minute flights to see Hatton v Mayweather and had the very back row. Not the best. I'd get a couple of aisle seats myself or you take the aisle and partner next to you.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I think most airlines pack the planes as full as they can. Which means you will be crammed into a tight space. I think you will have to upgrade to first class to have a two seat situation. So that said, if you are flying economy, get as close to the front as you can without sitting in middle seat. Check in on line as soom as possible 24 hrs before the flight. Change seats if needed. Good luck!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

We flew with Virgin Atlantic, managed to get 2 seats both ways, the seats at the back of economy on the way on the 747-400 were in 2's, just needed to check in online early for the seat selection.

On the way back it was an airbus and lost of twos in economy.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

Why limit yourself to just these two airlines. As both fly from Heathrow, there are other options.

Delta for example fly three times daily from LHR to JFK, and their standard configuration of seats is 2-3-2, so if you book online, you get to choose your seats, and then you'd be able to book a 2 together.

Being at the back of the plane has distinct disadvantages, especially when coming into land, and then the whole of the plane is in front of you in the immigration queue.

I prefer Delta over Virgin and BA, on the basis of their standard seats offer slightly more pitch. Additionally, you can upgrade to Economy Comfort, which gives even better legroom, more recline...

M

Edited: 3:25 am, February 23, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I agree and actually my current fave is klm. Kayak and skyscanner can be good as search engines.

England
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I can't stand Delta. KLM often uses Delta planes which is annoying.

I quite like Virgin Atlantic but have never flown with BA.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

I prefer virgin. You can get 2 seat configurations on Airbus A340-300 (343), Airbus A340-600 (346) and for all of their Boeing 747-400s there are seat pairs towards the back, however these are often in high demand and so unless you choose early, due to the limited number you may be out of luck.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British airways or virgin Atlantic?

No airline uses other airlines planes. There are however code shares and these are clearly marked so you know who you're flying with.