We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington in a day trip

Ipswich
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Washington in a day trip

Hi

I am travelling to New York in early May 2013 and would like to take my 71 & 78 year old parents to Washington for a day trip my father would love to see the George Washington Masonic museum and I would like to also do the hop on hop off bus is this possible and what transport options in Washington to get to both these attractions.

All help is appreciated,

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington in a day trip

Washington DC is a LONG way to go for a day trip, especially with older parents. Your best and most comfortable transport option will be to take the Amtrak train early from NY Penn Station to Union Station in DC, and then back again at the end of the day. I would ask on the DC forum for help figuring out how to get around the city.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,766 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington in a day trip

Your questions about Washington DC would be better placed in that forum rather than New York City, I think.

Your parents may find a day trip to/from Washington to be tiring, and you may want to consider making it an overnight visit.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington in a day trip

Plus, the Masonic Museum is not in Washington but accross the Potomac in Alexandria Virginia.

I agree you should ask on the Washington DC board how long it would take to get there from downtown Washington and how accesable it is to the metro(which does go to Alexandria.

Edited: 3:20 pm, February 21, 2013
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,776 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington in a day trip

There's a free bus (short ride) from the King Street Metro to the Masonic Memorial. I agree with other posters that this will be a very long and tiring day for your parents.

I assume your current plans are to fly into and out of New York. You should instead look into an "open jaw" plane ticket, one way to or from New York and one way to or from Washington. The fare shouldn't be any higher and this would allow you to devote whatever portion of the trip you wanted to New York and Washington.

If you do this be aware that the close in Reagan National Airport (DCA) in Washington is only for domestic flights. For international flights check both Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore-Washington International (BWI.)

Ipswich
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington in a day trip

Thank you for your help, I am new to posting and didn't realise there were different forums.

I also do not know what an open jaw is either.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,776 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington in a day trip

An "open jaw" plane ticket is where you fly from one city to a second and then return to your original city from a third city. Think of it as a diagram and you'll see it's an open jaw. The distance across the open jaw has to be less than the shorter leg of the jaw, but this will normally be the case for trans-Atlantic flights.

The fare should basically be half the round trip fare to each destination.

It's less likely to be useful to you, but it's also possible to fly from one city to a second and return from that second city to a different point from where you left. That's also an open jaw flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington in a day trip

1) Day trip to DC WAY WAY too tiring.

2) DC has SO MUCH to offer, do not shortchange it!

3) I would cut time from NYC (and i live there and love it) to give DC more time. Skip NYC museums and see the ones in DC and the monuments. So much.....

4) Is there a Masonic Temple near NY which would be worth visiting instead?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,427 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington in a day trip

To put this in perspective, this would be like doing the Lake District from London as a day trip.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington in a day trip

I am checking out any special lodges that are worth a look.

Someone told us that George Washington Masonic Museum is spectacular.

But I am taking on board what people are saying and will adjust our trip accordingly .

We are also heading to Vegas San Francisco and LA so I need lots of information.

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington in a day trip

I got to tour the Grand Masonic Lodge in NYC purely by accident last fall. I highly recommend it.

Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall

Free PUBLIC tours of our Grand Lodge Building and Masonic Hall are conducted Monday through Saturday between the hours of 10:30 AM and 2:15 PM. By special arrangement, group tours may be scheduled on Sunday and Holidays, provided a tour guide is available, by calling the Masonic Hall Tours Committee at (212) 337-6602.

Visitors are encouraged to tour our Grand Lodge building, Masonic Hall, on West 23rd Street in New York City.

To get tour information or request a tour, e-mail TourGuides@nymasons.org