We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Town from NYC

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach Town from NYC

Hi All! We are two gals in our 30's who will be visiting NYC at the end of June this year. We will be spending 5 days in NYC before going up to see Niagara Falls for a couple of days and then returning to NYC. We would then like to spend our final 5 days at a beach town for some relaxing, but would like a decent size beach town that has things to do if we want (like to do fun/silly things as we are really big kids at heart!), a bit of shopping and a good choice of restaurants/bars for us for the evening. We are happy for a drive of upto about 4 hours out of NYC. Your suggestions on good beach towns for us would be greatly appreciated! We have had a quick look at Jersey Shore - LBI (Beach Haven) - but we really want to make sure we will be in the right place for some chilled-out fun on our last few days. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Town from NYC

The Jersey Shore was badly hit by the recent hurricane so I'm not sure what kind of condition it's in or which of the hotels will be open for this summer. When you say silly things, that sounds like an amusement park to me and I believe all the amusement parks in the NY metro area were basically destroyed by the storm. The eastern end of Long island sustained the least damage in the storm and was mostly unaffected. I'd head out to Montauk where there are plenty of motels and inns, gorgeous beach, restaurants, bars etc.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Town from NYC

PS assuming you're leaving from JFK airport, Montauk or anywhere on Long Island will be more convenient than going to the Jersey Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Town from NYC

I'm from Jersey so I have to fight for it. LOL! No better beaches than the Jersey Shore. True some areas of coastal NJ is under renovation however, many are not. Two and half hours from NY is Cape May / Wildwood / AC. Not affected by the storm. Review their web site for specifics. Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Town from NYC

Although both places have beautiful beaches, the Jersey Shore is better known for nightlife along a boardwalk than is Long Island. As noted, the amount of restoration just after Memorial Day ("opening day" of the beach season) is completely unknown at this point. As visitors, you may want give priority to actual open facilities, at the last moment, rather than general feelings of civic good will.

Because of your willingness to drive, you can also consider as far as the Lewes, Delaware area, and the Rhode Island shore. Although New York City beaches can be very, very crowded, you might want to experience the Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens beaches, if enough is open by June.

Note that despite the U.S. laws about public beaches below the high tide mark, many towns deliberately make casual parking difficult, or charge for daily beach "tags". So a hotel room at a place that includes both of these necessities is important. Do research before making a day trip to another town than your hotel's.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Queens
Queens
New York
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Town from NYC

Have a look at Asbury Park. It has restaurants and lots of clubs....including the famour Stone Pony. Nice beach and boardwalk, too. The boardwalk had very little damage and most restaurants on it are up and running already. If you want a "cute" place to stay instead of in Asbury Park, look in Ocean Grove which is right next door .....

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Town from NYC

Totally the jersey shore. You can catch a bus at Port Authority and in 3 hours be in ocean city nj, the best beach on the coast.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Town from NYC

Thank you all very much for your responses and suggestions! Looking at your ideas I think we will do some research into Montauk, Asbury Park and Wildwood. I notice that no-one has commented on Beach Haven though... Is that because its possibly not the right place for us...? Thanks again!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Town from NYC

I will be the Beach Haven cheerleader! It does not have a boardwalk, but has some nice shopping, restaurants and a bit of silliness with mini golf, arcades, plus great biking or tennis. It was hit by Hurricane Sandy, but many businesses have rebounded and are reopening steadily. The Engleside Inn is central, ocean front with good restaurant and pool with poolside bar. It was not affected by Sandy, and in fact sheltered those displaced by the storm. Some homes and businesses will not be ready by June, but vacationers support will be greatly appreciated.

But I also agree Cape May was not affected, is a beautiful, unique beach town.

Support the NJ shore!!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Town from NYC

All fine suggestions but if you have the money why not doing it in style. Take a short flight to Turks and Caicos where we frequent. It's British territory so you'll feel at home. The best food in the Caribbean although technically not in the Caribbean.

We are there at the moment so I'm out of commission. I recommend we don't temporary shut the site.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Town from NYC

In a slightly unrelated aside, a couple of days at Niagara Falls is at least one day too many. The falls are nice to look at for a while, but the city itself is dreary and depressing.

Mentioned in this post