We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Hi, I'm a female in my mid 20's and in early september i'll be travelling to new york city by myself and would like some tips and advice about some tours i could go on to meet people my age. I was thinking of looking for accomodation via airbnb but if anyone has any other suggestions of accomodation and areas to stay would be great! Thanks :) Bec

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Were you looking for hosted accommodations, where you stay with the person in their apartment? The renting of an entire apartment for less than 30 days is generally illegal in New York City.

Maybe instead of tours you could consider staying at Hostelling International on 103rd Street. You would have an easier time meeting other young people there.

Edited: 11:02 pm, February 16, 2013
Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Hi, I was looking a hosted accomodation so just hiring a room is someones apartment via airbnb. I've never stayed at a hostel before so i'm a bit apprehensive about it and the shared facilities but i will have a look at the one you recommended. Thanks for your help :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Hi Beccy - I would have far more apprehension about staying 'alone' in an apartment with a total stranger than staying in a Hostel where there are more people around and a front desk for help.

I would take BB's advice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

There is also the Chelsea International Hostel on West 20th Street between 7th & 8th Avenues. Good location, and there is a police station on that block, so I think it should be pretty safe! There's also a good coffee shop on that block called Cafe Grumpy. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

I think the idea of staying in a strangers apartment on your own is a terrible one. Have you ever traveled alone?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Hostels are awesome, they usually have group activities planned that you can sign up for. I have done some awesome hostel stays and I always made new friends.

Staying in a strangers apartment is not really a best bet for a trip/

Hostels also tend to be well located and cheap

Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

I've never travelled alone before... I've come around on staying at a hostel instead of someones apartment but I'm probably going to choose a private room at a hostel rather than staying in a dorm. I've looked at the pod and that seems nice and has good social activities too.. has anyone heard anything about the pod?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

Listen Please Beccy. I am not a NY Expert now, I am from there but live in the abroad. Please listen to NY Whiz. She is the one. Do Not stay in an apt rented with some stranger. . Go to a licensed hostel or small hotel like the Pod or the Jane. You may spend more but will have a safe and excellent trip. You will meet plenty of people. Be safe and be good.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

If you want to meet tourists - hostels are great. if you want a real NY experience, I'd use airbnb or Craigslist. Williamsburgh might be a good bet for you to check out listings in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to NYC by myself... need help please!

I travel solo all the time and I would *never* stay in a hosted apartment anywhere. I am cautious by nature and personally, I would rather take my chances in a hostel dorm room than a private space with no one around to hear me yell for help if needed.

A private room in a hostel is a good compromise between price and access to social interaction.