We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children and saw a great apt to rent at 120th street & 3rd Avenue, Harlem, NYC. Is it a safe area?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

Renting apartments for less than 30 days is illegal. Read this:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6058678…

There are some great apartment style hotels - whats your nightly budget in dollars? How many beds? What are your exact dates?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

It isn't safe to stay in an illegal rental.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

Also check the Top Questions section, #2 (to the right of the forum) and you can also do a forum search. NYC has special laws on this.

If you let forum members know your target budget per night in USD and the number of beds you need, you may get some good suggestions for where to stay. Also include exact dates as prices fluctuate.

Keep in mind that you will not find prices as low as illegal apartment rental advertisements.

I recommend starting a new post.

Edited: 1:59 pm, February 14, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

I wouldn't stay in Harlem with children.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

I wouldn't stay in Harlem with a pit bull.

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

really? is Harlem that bad?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

Apartment rental aside;

Harlem (like most parts of the city) has places that are scruffy and places midon1 and Platna could not afford in their life time.

Also, it is clear that they are referencing the negative stigma that Harlem had 15 - 20 years ago (or they have something against people of color).

Crime is no higher/lower in Harlem than any other part of Manhattan. In fact, you rarely hear of crime in Harlem and if you do; it is often regarding family and friends.

So do not believe all you ready on this forum. Especially from individuals that go by hear-say and never actually take it upon themselves to be cultured due to unrealistic fears.

Edited: 8:13 pm, February 18, 2013
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

Harlem is seriously a great place to visit and the Aloft Starwood Hotel is quite legal. The biggest issue is your apartment rental.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2013/02/explore-nyc-…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

I'll agree with the last two posters: no, of course Harlem isn't that bad. Plenty of children live in Harlem, including quite a number of rich children. Real Estate has gotten very expensive there. The issue here is the (probably) illegal apartment rental, not with the neighborhood.

Schenectady, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe for a family to stay in Harlem?

While Harlem overall is not all bad, you could stand out (especially at night) as the area around 125th Street on the East Side is especially busy, which in this case is not a good thing. NYC is not Toronto. I do not think you should bother considering this for the many reasons given and move on to something else. There are just as many cheap hotels/rentals in Queens or Brooklyn which are the same number of subway stops away and you will be much happier. Just because Harlem is in Manhattan does not make it the place to be. Pick another area and ask again for our opinion so you can be sure. This may not be the best.