We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hockey Weekend in NYC

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hockey Weekend in NYC

5 guys travelling to NYC March 22-25. Going to see the Islanders on the 22, The Devils on the 23rd, and the Rangers on the 24th. Wondering which is the best place to stay for access to all three as well as sight seeing during the day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,020 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

Near Penn station in Manhattan is the most central spot and would put you across from MSG and near the train if you plan on using public transport to the other venues. Although if you're going to Long Island and are driving to NYC, I'd drive to Nassau Coliseum. YOu can take the train and then a taxi, but the taxis out there don't cruise so you have to phone for them.

The Affinia Manhattan is directly across the street and is a suite hotel if you all wanted to stay in one space. They have 1 bedroom suites with 2 double or queen beds and a sofabed. I think they also have 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites.

Otherwise, split up into a few rooms. There are quite a lot of hotels in that area. A budget and your preferred sleeping arrangement would help us help you.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

Hey nywhiz thanks for the info. Budget wise, the better the hotel price the more money we have for the rest of our NYC experience. If we could keep the room to about $100-$125 a head per night that would be great. As for preffered sleeping arrangement, there is no set arrangement. I guees one room for two guys anf 1 room for three guys.

Thanks for all of your help.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,080 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

Preferred sleeping arrangements refers to the number of beds you will need. Does each guy need their own bed, or are they willing to share?

New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

If you're driving, I'd suggest driving out to Nassau Coliseum to see the Islanders as NYWhiz posted. There is a Marriott right next to the coliseum. The rates are around $189 per night, for a room with two double beds. The next day, I'd be on the road early, heading into Manhattan and using that as your base for seeing the next two games.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

We are flying into New York at 8:30 AM on the 22nd. So not sure which way to approach the best are to stay. As for sleeping arrangements we would each require our own bed.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

Which airport? This could make a difference. As Whiz pointed out, taxi to/from Nassau Coliseum is a challenge.

One option - if you're flying into JFK or LGA - rent a car when you arrive. Then, you could either drive to Long Island - not much to do around Uniondale except a mall (Roosevelt Field) - you have many hours to kill before a 7 pm game. OR, drive into the city, park, sightsee, then drive out to Uniondale - this is tough as you have to now fight rush hour traffic heading out to Long Island. Then, after the game, you can drive back to the airport to return the car and then take public transportation back to the city - it'll be late, but 3 young guys? No problem.

Or, you can stay overnight at the Marriot and and then drive into the city on Saturday am.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
371 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

You can get to Newark for a Devils game from a hotel near Madison Square Garden via the New Jersey PATH's 33rd Street station. The Prudential Center is a short walk from Newark's Penn Station (not to be confused with New York City's Penn Station) where the PATH train goes.

I wouldn't want to stay in Newark or hang around in Newark after (or before) the game.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,020 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

Agree it would help to know which airport you're using. Also, whether you'd consider switching hotels after the first night. Agree with kath and daninny.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

We are flying into Laguardia. As for changing hotels that is why I am asking for recommendations. To see what the best plan of attack is.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,020 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hockey Weekend in NYC

I guess it really depends on what you want to do the day you arrive. You could just stay in Manhattan the whole time and either rent a car for the first game at theC oliseum or deal with the public transportation from amanhattan. Staying the first night near the coliseum is also an option but have no idea what to tell you to do on that first day unless you want to shop at the Roosevelt Field mall. If you'e golfers, you could try golfing the Bethage course, but I doubt you want to bring clubs.