We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Note Jazz Club

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Note Jazz Club

I'm coming up to NYC the week of April 16th to see my favorite jazz artist Hiromi Uehara Trio at the Blue Note.

Can anyone tell me the dress code at the Blue Note. Is a coat and tie necessary for a man? Also, what is the best way to get a table closest to the performance? Will a tip to to Matre De do it? Or is it on a first come first served basis?

How about Birdland, Village Vanguard, Iridium, Metronome, and other clubs? Coat and tie or not?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

Well.....good you've asked. There is no dress code at any of these places and you will see everything including jeans and t shirts. NYC is now very casual and very few places have a dress code. I'm sorry to say the Blue Note is one of the worst jazz clubs in the city for comfort or customer service despite the fact that they get great musicians. You book a reservation and it's first come first serve for seating so....people line up sometimes for hours to get the best seat. I don't think tipping will help. I think being a celebrity or friend/family of the performer helps, but definitely get there very early. I think eating there (despite the fact that the food is awful) might get you a better table. If you're coming alone, be prepared for sharing a table with strangers. Look on youtubet if you haven't already for taped performances to get an idea of how jammed in the seating is.

You don't need a coat and tie for any of the places you mention. I can't think of aclub that would require it. You're more likely to see jackets at a place like 54 Below (more supper club) but even there, you wouldn't need to wear one.

bigapplejazz.com

is a great website for a listing of jazz clubs (called the Jazz bible). The guy who runs the site is very highly regarded and does jazz tours which might interest you. Don't miss Dizzy's. Setting in gorgeous.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

Agreed - worse venue for jazz in my opinion. Your chair either side of you will be touching the other chairs - they cram in as many people as humanly possible and they quickly clear out the space after the set to make way for the people coming to the following set - unless you go to the last set of the night.

I have two favorites - the Village Vanguard and the Jazz Standard. Both very different than the other and, again, people are cleared out pretty quickly after the set they came to see.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

I don't know why Hiromi doesn't play at one of the better clubs. Even Birdland would be better. She's got to be one of the best Jazz pianists in the world. Maybe she does play other places. However, I don't know how I would find out what other places she was performing at. Actually, all over the world, she performs on stage at a theater or at a supper club. Why not in NYC?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

I often wonder how the Blue Note gets the top people. My guess is they pay more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

The experience for the performer is a whole lot different than for the audience; last time I was there we were guests of the performer. Didn't much matter - yes, we had seat right near the stage but we were as crammed in as the rest of the lemmings - for him (the performer), it was a great gig - though every jazz performer I know is not a fan of having such truncated sets -

Money money money - and with the rents as high as they are, it is inevitable. Wait till you see the price for the drinks - you will have a minimum you will have to spend. Close your eyes and try not to pay attention to the yammering around you, the people texting, etc.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

Since the Blue Note is the only venue that Hiromi Uehara is performing at I guess I will bite the bullet and do what is necessary. At least she will be performing for 6 nights so that may limit the crowds.

If one has a reservation for a performance at a particular time I'm wondering why they would have to stand in line for hours.

My wife and I drink very little so the cover charge may take care of it. Of course when you're going out in NYC you expect to spend money.

Way back when I was still in my youth I went to see Thelonious Monk at the Blue Note. As I remember I stood in the back as there were no seats available. I could still see the stage fairly well and could hear the performance well. It's not a very big club.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

Even if you have a reservation, if you want a seat closer to the stage, wait in line - that's why people do it.

Years ago I went to see someone I really wanted to see and wound up in the bar area and there was just too much chatter, clinking of glasses, etc - I didn't really enjoy but then I'm a bit nutty in that I really like when people are actually quiet during a performance and not talking, etc.

You will enjoy the performance, I'm sure - just expect it to be cramped with some jostling but the music I'm sure will outweigh all that stuff.

Going to the last set of the night can - at times - get you a bit longer set with some musicians sitting in with the performer, etc. They are often still jazzed up (so to speak) and will continue to play - if the venue allows it and the performers are in the mood.

8. Re: Blue Note Jazz Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 16, 2014