We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Daventry, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Me and my girlfriend will be coming to New York at the start of April for 5 days. I understand there's a lot to do in so little time in New York but can anyone reccomend anything that we should 100% do whilst being over there. We love sight seeing and taking advantage of the different culture etc. She also loves shopping (no suprise there) and eating out and attending shows etc. Any reccomendations so that I can book them before we arrive would be brilliant.

Thank you.

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,087 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

You should buy a guide book and read. Nobody knows you and there are literally hundreds of great things to do in NYC, there is shopping everywhere you turn and there are tons of plays going on nightly.AS for food, I believe there are 22,000 places to eat in NYC.

You will have a great trip, but you do have to do some leg work before you arrive. When you have done some reading come back with specific questions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

On the right side of the page here is a column titled top questions on NYC. The 3rd down is must see/dos. While everyone's tastes are different, those are the things most people enjoy.

One of the decisions you should think about is whether to do a general overview tour. There are hop on/off bus tours. By early April the weather should be decent enough to do these IF you like them. Grayline red buses are the better option as there are more of them. Use it for a tour, not for transportation. No need to buy tix in advance.

onboardtours.com

is another co. that does overview tours in a smaller bus with a guide that stays with you.

realnewyorktours.com

uses subway and walking to get around.

There's also a service called

bigapplegreeter.org

that pairs you with a local who takes you around for free. You could apply for that now.

For theater, there are discounts for most shows except the hottest ones (Wicked, Book of Mormon, Lion King) on the left column of

broadwaybox.com

but it's too early to see discounts for April. Wait a bit for April discounts. In the meantime you can have a look at what's playing here

playbill.com/events/listing/1/Broadway-Shows/

didhelikeit.com

is a website with condensed reviews.

Every show has an official seller, either ticketmaster.com or telecharge. Even the discounts I mention lead you back to the official seller.

Things to book before you arrive:

If you want to see one of the "hot" shows, buy tickets NOW.

If you plan on going to the Empire State building (most prefer Top of the Rock) buy those tickets in advance online to avoid standing in line and the awful touts on the street.

9/11 Memorial requires reserved tickets

911memorial.org

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

NYC Travel Article about "Must See's and Must Do's" for first-time travelers:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

NYC "Trip Lists" -- itineraries by other travelers, grouped by "Perfect Day", "Perfect Weekend", "Best of...", "Recent Trips":

tripadvisor.com/…TRIPLISTS

Daventry, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Thank you guys :)

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Take her to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue and buy her a special piece of jewellery for her birthday

Daventry, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

I don't fancy taking out any sort of loan though..

Warrnambool...
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Ha ha Darren. She will only turn 21 once. If you look at the website there are lots of beautiful pieces under $2-300

Daventry, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Oh that's okay then :).

I will take a look and try and head there when we come over, thanks :)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

Just to give you heads-up of the kind of things Tiffany's has for less than $250:

www.tiffany.com/Shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx…

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A trip for my girlfriend's 21st birthday..

We recently came back from NY and it was my first trip there. We indluged in a day of shopping at Woodbury Common outlet centre and felt that it was worth both the 1 hour coach trip there and the cost of the coach tickets (about $45). We also did 2 shows, one play and one musical and loved both (managed to get cheap tickets on the day from TKTS booth in Times Square).

Our most expensive meal was at Minetta Tavern but it was so worth it, booking is a must, it was such a cool restaurant and the food was out of this world in our opinion. We did both the Empire State Building (at night) and Top of The Rock (mid afternoon) and preferred the overall experience and views of Top of The Rock. If you want to be romantic you can extend your Top of The Rock ticket to be able to return for sunset. Also romantic is a horse and carriage ride around Central Park, we got the basic one which was $50 but to go around the whole park I think the estimated cost was around $90.

Another brilliant but exhausting day we had was taking the subway down to Battery Park and then lots of walking exploring the areas from there all the way back to Times Square (Wall Street, China Town, Little Italy, Soho, Grenwich Village...)

Enjoy - it was only my first trip there and I fell in love with the place and so want to go back!!