We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
171 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Hi all,

We'll be in NYC this weekend for 4 days and are looking for suggestions of things to do. We've been to NYC a couple of times before and have done the more popular attractions: cruise, Statue of Liberty, Top of the rock, Empire State, Central Park, MoMA, Museum of natural history, etc.

So far we have planned visiting the ground zero memorial, booked dinner in a couple of restaurants we were interested in, will go see Wicked and now we are looking for ideas to fill the day.

We don't mind walking and just want ideas to enjoy the city. It could be bars to visit after dinner, places to have lunch or snack, other sites of interest. It looks like its going to be pretty cold, so we won't be able to stay outside all the time :-)

Thanks all.

WC

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Off the beaten track …typepad.com/explorenyc/2013/02/explore-nyc-…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Visit other museums you didn't list above...good if the weather is lousy...

eg The Met, the Frick, The Whitney (American art...amazing), the Guggenheim

Museum of the American Indiann.....downtown...near the 9/11 Memorial...

If it's OK weather....and you've got the clothes and footwear to cope with the cold....self guided walking tours ...eg Brooklyn (Dumbo and Brooklyn Heights and the bridge, Greenwich Village, Lower East Side (including the fabulous Tenement Museum), and the Upper West Side are some we did that we loved..

Other indoor things,,,The Library and Grand Central Terminal (inc the wonderful audio tour)

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
205 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Pommes Frites (spelling?) in Astor Place. Awesome toppings for good Belgian fries.

goldstar.com might give you some lower cost ideas for various shows and other events if that would interest you

Lincoln Center used to have an artsy theatre across from it, played lots of foreign films

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Have you traveled over to Roosevelt Island , amazing views back into midtown Manhattan, one of the citys best kept secrets, all included in your subway pass

www.rioc.com

Boston
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Take a walk on the High Line or do the Tenement Museum tour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Oh yes...I missed listing that we had a wonderful day in Chelsea ..including the Highline...

And if you go there...try Del Posto for lunch....a great Fixed Price menu at lunchtime

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

The lunch menu at Del Posto I think is only during the week, not weekends. Brunch is a big deal on weekends here. Lots of ideas here

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/835626

Maybe explore Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Flea is popular for eating and shopping.

brooklynflea.com

For self guided walking tours look at

walkingoffthebigapple.com

If you give us an idea of where you're staying and what kinds of things you like, it would be easier to help.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Well If/when you are downtown, a visit to the African Burial Ground - a FREE National Monument is well worth the time spent. They opened a new part of the visitor center since my last visit. It is excellent. And, it is another part of the NY Immigration story.

If you are up for a visit to another century in Brooklyn then head to Weeksville. (Except for school groups) I was educator Nia's first visitor from the 5 bork Black History tour. If you can't visit this month, show up soon or in the summer when the new visitor center opens.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

Great suggestions, everyone! Exactly the type of things I was looking for. I think I have a good array to choose from now.

Can't wait to be in the BA again.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Done main tourist sites before, looking for suggestions

And nywiz, I liked the idea of going to Brooklyn and taking one if the walking tours. I didn't really spend time in Chinatown, so I think I'll go there for a bit.

I'll be staying in Times Square, just because I got a deal, but don't mind going to other places. Exploring neighborhoods, spending time in coffee shops, etc, seeing different architecture and people watching is what I enjoy. But if there's anything not to be missed on display in any of the museums right now I'll make sure to go see it too.

And looks like I have lunch down for mon or Tue at Del Posto.