We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

to fit me?

i would like to come home with a few t-shirts and some reebok/nike trainers.im a uk size 17 (very big) and i stand 6ft 9" tall so i need long clothes. will i be able to find stuff that fits me ok?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

Yes, you can find large size clothing in NYC. There are a number of "Big & Tall" retail men's shops (Rochester Big & Tall, Casual Male XL, and others). Discount stores that have a Big & Tall section include Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

Matthew, I am on the large size myself (although only 6'6"), so I sympathize.

What you will need to do is to know what your size is in US terms. Dress shirts are sold by neck size/arm length expressed in inches, such as 18/37. T-shirts, sweatshirts, and the like are usually sold as Large, X Large, XX Large, and so on, with a separate tall category for the same sizes -- as in XLT, 2XLT, and so on. Note that XL and XLT are NOT the same thing; the sleeves on an XL sweatshirt will typically be only 34 inches long, and an XL t-shirt will be short (for us at least) in the waist.

Jeans and dress trousers are commonly sold as waist/ inseam length expressed in inches, such as 40/34. Suits at most department stores come in short, regular, and long, which is not long enough -- however, some stores also carry suits in extra long. Suits are sold based on the chest measurement for the jacket, also in inches -- so you would look for, say, the 48 extra long suits.

There are indeed Big and Tall clothing stores, but they tend to charge quite a bit more for the clothes available. For dress clothes, I have had some success (now that Syms is gone...) at Men's Wearhouse, which is a chain; when they have a sale, they are definitely worth visiting.

Eddie Bauer has a nice selection of tall items such as polo shirts or sport shirts.

I have had success in finding jeans in my size at Dave's Jeans.

Don't waste your time looking for ANYTHING in Macy's; they simply do not carry tall clothes for men.

You can sometimes (although not always) find tall sizes at Modell's sporting goods.

Foot Locker carries sneakers in size 17 and 18, but you may have a problem finding that size in all stores. You may want to try checking the website, and then contacting a store to see if they have (or can have) the size and style you want to look at when you are there.

Edited: 4:22 pm, February 11, 2013
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

thats awesome,thanks alot for your reply

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

Yea you will find they sizes for sure no worries. Models, Marshall's, Target and Foot locker are great stores you will find plenty of clothing.

5. Re: im a large person going to new york.......will i find stuff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 15, 2014