We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting NYC!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
visiting NYC!!

Hey, have booked my trip (so excited) which includes a week in NYC and now enjoying the planning and would be grateful for any help or suggestions!

We are heading over the first wk of september flying into JFK whats the best way to get from JFK to our hotel which is pod 51 (230 E 51st) Secondly as we will be in the city for a week what is the best public transport option? Plan on doing loads of walking but from what i've read it will be necessary to use the metro on occasion.

The US open is also on hope to get tickets which I believe go on sale in June, does anyone know cost or reserved seating or the ease of securing tickets? What other sports will be on first wk of september, not that i'm a huge baseball fan but thought that could be good to enjoy the atmosphere?

Love food and trying new things so feel free to point me in the right direction :) cheers

Mentioned in this post
US Open
US Open
166 Reviews
Flushing, NY
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting NYC!!

Should be a great time to be in NYC.... Locals will chime in with answers to your transportation from JFK question.... or you might find it already discussed by looking at the top question on the right side of this screen....US Open tickets are like any other major tournament these days.... major corporations get all the good seats.... that being said, you can buy tickets for grounds that are very reasonable.... that allows you to see all the matches EXCEPT the marquee match in the major court..... it is a very pleasant venue and easy to access by subway.... which should be your major form of transportation while there..... easy, cheap, and FAST.....

Put Hop Stop app on your phone and it will guide you all over the city....

Have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting NYC!!

Check the Top Questions section for info about getting from JFK. "Best" depends on what is important to you, and the time of day (traffic). You could take a taxi for a flat rate of $52 plus tolls and tips, or you could take public transportation.

For your week in the city, subway is the best form of public transportation. Buy a weekly pass.

Maps.google.com is a good resource for walking and subway directions. Just use the train icon in the get directions section. Most of the time it will find your start and end points by name, so you don't have to look up the street address yourself.

For baseball, check to see whether there are home games during your stay.

There are countless (thousands) of good restaurants and lots of opportunities to try new things. For recommendations, you'll have to be more specific. Really, it may come down to your particular mood and where you plan to be around mealtimes. You might want to start learning about the most foodie-loved NYC food trucks and carts.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting NYC!!

It's an easy trip to your hotel with the AirTrain and subway. Take the Jamaica AirTrain monorail from your terminal at JFK to Jamaica. There you'll go downstairs to the subway and get a Manhattan bound E train. Get off at Lexington Avenue and exit the platform toward the rear of the train. There will be an elevator and escalator to the mezzanine level. From there it will be a short walk upstairs to street level. You'll come out at 3rd Avenue and 53rd Street. Your hotel is on 51st Street, just east of 3rd Avenue, so you'll be a couple of short blocks from your hotel.

The AirTrain will be $5.00 per person each way. You pay after you get off. When you reach the subway level at Jamaica buy an unlimited weekly Metrocard for each person. The cost is increasing from $29 to $30 per person in March. The Metrocards are good on the buses as well as on the subway.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
4. Re: visiting NYC!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:08 pm, June 10, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting NYC!!

Towing?

I would urge anyone to ignore this solicitation

blackpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting NYC!!

Hi.

We stayed at the Pod last December. We pre-booked return transfers for JFK. I think it was through Travel Republics website - it seemed to be the cheapest option at the time without struggling with suitcases on public transport.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting NYC!!

Travel Republic? You almost certainly got ripped off. Too bad you didn't come here first. We woudl have given you better advice.

blackpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting NYC!!

What would your advice have been - we only paid £51 return for two of us. We know we could have done it cheaper on public transport but didn't want to drag suitcases around. If you know of a better price could you please let me know for our next trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting NYC!!

was it a shared van?

blackpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply